Input for a new Knife Design

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Hey there fellow bushcrafters it has been a while!
for those who not yet know me my name is Ruud van Tiel and I am currently doing my thesis project in Mora, Sweden with Morakniv. I am in the process of developing a new knife with a wooden handle, destined for the outdoor branch. We are looking for the needs of the user. What would be the main uses for the blade? What type of finish would you prefer and what type of style suits your aesthetics best.

https://goo.gl/forms/ykqwlPycFt487jSz1

Looking forward to make something Amazing!

Yours sincerely
Ruud

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Hi Ruud!
I hope you do not mind a lengthy 'wishlist' ? Exciting project.

Also you might ask Morakniv to call it BCUK, and maybe mention BCUK in the little paper/leaflet that will be in the box?
Call it Morakniv BCUK maybe?

Because I feel that if we here give you our thoughts, allowed courtesy of the owner ( have you asked him?) this site should be mentioned.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Hey everyone!

Much appreciated for all your opinions and preferences. And do keep them coming!
I will try and keep you up to date us much as possible but I am not sure what the restrictions on that are, as in what information Morakniv would like to keep indoors until the process has been finalized etc.

But hope to be able to share as much as possible.
Also if you have any knife lovers that haven’t seen this survey please send it on towards them!

Thank you for being one of the best communities I ever had chance to be a part of, proud to call myself a BCUK Native!

Yours sincerely

Ruud

Last edited:

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
done mate. Interesting wood choices, as some may be more difficult to source for mass production than others.
I'd find it difficult to come up with a new mora knife that stands above their already wide range, though it looks like over previous years they have been stepping up to mora higher end knives so that might be the niche right there. Look forward to seeing what you come up with :)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I wish Morakniv could make a knife with a laminated blade, with the outer two layers made from a nice Damascus steel.
Carbon inner, S/s outer. Simple classic oiled Birch handle. Cost under GBP 100.

They can do it.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I wrote you in the form what I would buy and recommend in Germany: 9,5 cm full tang blade. Legth over all 20cm.

But I think, it would be interesting for Britain to produce a legal to carry folding knife, Made like an Opinel No8 Carbone with the same handle size, but an exactly legal (shorter) blade length.

It should be made very light like the Opinel, but instead of the locking ring there should be a screw to correct the friction between inner wooden handle/scales and blade.

That would look a bit like the EKA folder, but would be more like the Opinel No8.

And cheap as chips!
The folding brother of the classic Mora.

The UK legal version of the Opinel Idea.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE