Inova X5 LED Torch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Has anyone got one of these ? I'm thinking of getting one but any Recommendations or don't bothers would be helpful. They really look the Biz and from what I've read are tough and reliable, but that's only what I've read from the stores selling them. An independent review would be good.

Allmi

Nov 10, 2003
Bornheim/Germany
Hi falling rain!

I own a X5T for a year or so and i'm very satisfied with it. :-D For my purposes (camping, hiking etc.) it serves very well, bright enough light that lasts a long, long time. It's a handy torch that easily fits in your pocket, waterproof to an extend and "bullet proof" construction, yet not too heavy. All i heard from my buddies that are using it, too, is very good comments. However, if you need a real bright spotlight or beam, a surefire might serve you better, but the batteries on those are very fast exhausted. Paid around 50 Euros and IMHO its worth every cent.

Cheers
Allmi :wink:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I wondered about getting one of these, but various websites lead me to believe that an ARC or surefire might be a better bet. No personal experience of any of the above though.

When backpacking you want low weight and a lightweight head torch is ideal - I bought a Petzl zipka 'clone' off ebay and its very good.

I think British Blades has a forum for torches...sorry, flashlights....

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
i've got an ARC LSL, its a good light, not to heavy, quite good projection for an led etc etc. ods have the base model LSH quite cheap. it has a tighter spot than mine. if you want good reviews have a look at canflepowerforuns.com, there are several manufactures forums on there.
the arc is a good light, and thinking about it you can also get a 2xAA batery pack adapter for it, for when you can't get the cr123's.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
also try www.flashlightreviews.com, there is a section of "shoot outs" which allows you to compare the beams of the lights over set distances/times etc. i've just had a quick look and suggest you look at the 2second shots.
hope that helps
sc

gurushaun

Forager
Sep 12, 2003
Modbury, Devon/Cannock Staffs
I'm never without mine I've had it over a year now and I've only gone through one set of batteries. Its called a *floodlight* and that is what you get lots of useable light, but not as much throw as you'd get with a high power Luxeon led or incandesant bulb. You might want to wait a little as Inova are introducing a range of lights using the newer 1watt, 3watt and 4 watt Luxeon single focused LEDs, these will give more throw.

Cheers

Shaun

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Our "corner shop" has a few of these gadgets in stock
50039630.jpg

I've been thinking about buying one along with the groceries for sometime now, purely 'cos they're there. Anyone ever use one?

Nick in Belfast

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I've handled the Innova X5 and it seems bulletproof ... well thought out and nicely finished. I've got one of the original 4-LED torches by Longlight so I've not been tempted to replace it ... yet!

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Thanks for the replies. Now you've made the decision even harder.!! :shock: I didn't know about ARC and Surefire but I've looked on the NET and they also look like they do a good range. I've got a Petzl Myo 3 at the mo which is good except I find it a pain to get the battery housing case off easily. It always feels as if I'm going to bust it when opening it. You can get headbands that you can slip a Maglite or other cylindrical shaped torch in via an elastic attached to the band...... I'll have to sleep on it :roll:

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
I'm impressed with the X5. It's very solid, puts out a useful light - far far better than a minimag, even with the opalec newbeam conversion for similar bulk ( shorter, thicker). Output is supposedly around 15 lumens - which isn't bad. Waterproof, car proof, etc. Surefire, arc etc do much brighter models but you pay a lot more for them. The X5 is relatively cheap if you shop around (see Joe at ODS). I'd rate it good value and very happy with mine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE