Info about Coleman Novae X2 tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Has anyone any experience with this tent?
Does it shed water in hard rain, and does it stand well in heavy wind etc etc...?

I`m about to buy a new tent and found this tent "interesting".

Tried to ask about it on BuscraftUSA but apperantly the tent isn`t sold in the US (tought Coleman was a US brand:confused:).

Any comments welcome.
Thanks.

Tor

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The Coleman has a hydrostatic head of 2000mm the TN one has 4000mm to the fly. The higher the number the better the resistance to water. 1000mm is considered the minimum to be called waterproof however I think 1500mm is the minimum you'd ever want to consider for a tent. Bear in mind a lot of sil-nylon tarps are only 1500mm but they can stand lower HH figures. Personally on the HH grounds only I'd steer clear of it as through use the HH tends to drop with use. The US site BPL has numerous discussions about how sil-nylon degrades with use. Sometimes quite quickly and not always due to being used. It actually is supposed to degrade when stuffed into its stuff sack!! The higher the HH the longer it is before this becomes an issue. In the BPL article IIRC there was one tarp with a 1500 or 2000mm HH when new that had been re-tested at 500mm HH after less than 6 months with only something like one or two weekends of actual use! Something like that anyway. I only remember it as dropping from above what is considered as waterproof to about 500mmHH in a ridiculously low lenght of time with very little actual use. The discussion came up with evidence that it is not use and exposure to UV but the handling and even being stuffed and stored in a sack.

Anyway with all that rambling I say with a silicone treated nylon you want the fly to be as waterproof as you can get it when new for longevity. My tents all seem to be 5000mm and up (one is actually 8000mmHH for the fly and 10000mm HH for the groundsheet). The TN Zephyros does look a good option for that price, certainly would be my preferred option over the Coleman.

I hope that helps.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
The TN has a fly rating of 2000, the zephyros a fly rating of 4000. The TN is suggested use "short term backpacking" "adventure racing" The Zephyros suggested use is "backpacking" Interpret that as you will. Seems to me that (maybe) the TN will survive a wet Welsh night, but in the Z you might survive a wet Welsh week. Tents here (USA) typically have an HH of 2000. but then outside of the pacific NW, we don't often get continuous driven heavy rain for days at a time (like Wales). Of course, this is all theoretical musing, because when i spent my formative days camping in Wales, the tents were made of canvas and became thoughroughly soaked after a few days (and damned heavy). Surely any PU coated nylon or PE will be (much) better than that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE