Influential texts from your childhood?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Burnt Ash, I heard a radio show about that book a while ago, it was a real shame they gave away the ending, but still it sounded like an excellent book.and really. I really wanted to read it but promptly forgot the title and name of the author.

Thank you so much for refreshing my memory, I shall seek out a copy!

Be sure to get the full version (there were some abridged editions, intended for children). Apart from the text, the book is a delight for Caldwell's pen and ink marginal illustrations on every page.

Burnt Ash

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
One of the first books that really stuck with me was about some magical creatures that lived in the woods, I can`t for the life of me remember what it was called but one of the main characters was called Moonface. Any ideas ???

:thinkerg:

Enid Blytons - The Magic Faraway Tree

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Coral Island and it's sequel Burning Mountain, which I must find a copy of since it involves canoes and bannock, but that's about all I can remember.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Coral Island and it's sequel Burning Mountain, which I must find a copy of since it involves canoes and bannock, but that's about all I can remember.

I remember reading R.M Ballantyne's The Gorilla Hunters when I was about eleven. I thought it very exciting stuff at the time. Granted it was written in the 19th century, but the zoological content is pure cobblers.

Ballantyne was hugely popular in his day, but far too proselytizing for my taste. Here is a quote from a modern 14-year old boy: "One thing I really like about Ballantyne is the fact that his stories are explicitly Christian. The heroes of the stories believe in the Bible, lead people to Christ, and demonstrate the kind of Christian character which I know is important. I hope other boys will enjoy the stories as much as I have."

I don't know about you, but I find that pretty vommy.

Burnt Ash

JohnL

Forager
Nov 20, 2007
West Sussex
I don't much like Enid Blyton, but all the other stuff metioned it good imho.
Other stuff to add to the list would be Tom Sawyer, & Huckleberry Finn. Also a book set in America called Savage Sam. There is just so much good stuff now you cant really make a list of the best.
But if you did Rodin Hood would have to be on it somewhere.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
.....Ballantyne was hugely popular in his day, but far too proselytizing for my taste. Here is a quote from a modern 14-year old boy: "One thing I really like about Ballantyne is the fact that his stories are explicitly Christian. The heroes of the stories believe in the Bible, lead people to Christ, and demonstrate the kind of Christian character which I know is important. I hope other boys will enjoy the stories as much as I have."
I don't know about you, but I find that pretty vommy.
Burnt Ash

Isn't it funny how perceptions change ? The misssionary stories I was given as a young girl emphasised hardship endured and overcome, diligence and hard work, duty, loyalty, striving for the greater good. The religious aspects were a private, familial matter not an evangelical one despite the hero/ine being a missionary. ChaImers was beheaded and eaten, no politically correct bedtime story there :rolleyes: However, I have to admit to not being religiously inclined, then or now.

I still have my children's copy of Eddie McGee too :D and the first Tracks book as well. I think I probably ought to add both Robert and Olive Baden-Powell to my list of books too.

cheers,
Toddy

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
Danny champion of the world, and Famous 5.

Mark

oh an the bible, you cant have an opinion on somethin if ya aint read or done it first :rolleyes:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I hate this thread!
Most of the book mentioned were not written until I had left childhood far behind!
You are making me feel OLD!
Alot of the books were influential in my young adulthood though...:rolleyes:

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
I remember reading R.M Ballantyne's The Gorilla Hunters when I was about eleven. I thought it very exciting stuff at the time. Granted it was written in the 19th century, but the zoological content is pure cobblers.

Yes... that's why I didn't include it. However, I don't take the authors views too seriously and they are an interesting commentary on the time - gives some context to the exactly why they did things that we consider downright wrong now.

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
Hey - Swallows & Amazons, Famous Five, all the Tolkein of course, most Arthurian stuff (from Mallory to White) anything with kids and andventures - or adults and adventures

If anyone wants a bit of fun - try "Running Blind" by Desmond Bagley - guns, Landrovers, Iceland, camping, knives all good fun

Rogue Male is a classic for any outdoorsman (listened to the Radio 4 original book at bedtime version then bought the book)

Ohh don't get me started....off to buy my side of the mountain now :(

Red

I downloaded Rogue Male since I have tended to agree with most of your other posts, glad I did! Just finished episode 3 (stowing away on the boat ).
I have always loved listening to old radio shows while dozing off to sleep!
:beerchug:

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
I hate this thread!
Most of the book mentioned were not written until I had left childhood far behind!
You are making me feel OLD!
Alot of the books were influential in my young adulthood though...:rolleyes:

I know what you mean !!

Does any body remember 'Fishing with Mr Crabtree'??

Cheers
Nick

y0dsa

Forager
Jan 17, 2008
The Danelaw
And there's the wonderful Two Little Savages.

Had a look on Amazon, and someone had this to say about it:

By A Customer
Time: Nov.30,1936. Site: my high school. The Great Depression still gripped the U.S. A classmate apparently didn't have any lunch money so he offered me the hardback version of "Two Little Savages" for 10 cents. Although that was two-thirds of my lunch money, I bought it. Result: it led me into the woods, and so changed my life that, when I retired as a journalist, I moved to this mountain farm. That book now rests on my desk next to this computer, with its date and the notation: "Bought from Franklin Ramsey for 10 cents."

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I downloaded Rogue Male since I have tended to agree with most of your other posts, glad I did! Just finished episode 3 (stowing away on the boat ).
I have always loved listening to old radio shows while dozing off to sleep!
:beerchug:
I'm delighted! I'm amazed its downloadable! That must be thirty or more years old if its the version I listened to :eek:

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
And there's the wonderful Two Little Savages.

Had a look on Amazon, and someone had this to say about it:

By A Customer
Time: Nov.30,1936. Site: my high school. The Great Depression still gripped the U.S. A classmate apparently didn't have any lunch money so he offered me the hardback version of "Two Little Savages" for 10 cents. Although that was two-thirds of my lunch money, I bought it. Result: it led me into the woods, and so changed my life that, when I retired as a journalist, I moved to this mountain farm. That book now rests on my desk next to this computer, with its date and the notation: "Bought from Franklin Ramsey for 10 cents."

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/13499
read it for free here!
;)

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
It's not an outdoor book but the first book to make an impression on me was To kill a Mockingbird!

It's the one piece that made me read for pleasure and I still have a copy.

Pib

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
I didn't get any influential texts when I was a boy.....................mobile 'phones hadn't been invented in those days!

........................................ I'll get my coat! :nana:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE