Inflatable Mat Puncture

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andibs

Forager
Jan 27, 2012
S. Yorks
Picked up a pin ***** puncture in my Vango self inflating mat. It's right on a seam and I suspect that a patch won't stick with where the puncture is.

Anyone any ideas??

Cheers
Andy

Wacker

Sep 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
You could go super cheap by mixing melted pine resin and ash from the fire to make glue and apply it to the puncture site. Could be messy but that's bushcraft for ya! ;)

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Andibs (and others with self inflate mats!)
I often use a surplus self inflating mat and after frequent punctures (due to the nature of my deployments) I decided to sort the problem and upgraded the mat by way of sewing a piece of recovered material (from another punctured mat!) onto the bottom of the good mat creating a pocket into which I could insert one of the ex BW fold-able ground insulation mats. There is a slight amount of surplus material where the top and bottom halves of the mat are pinched and sealed together onto which I machined the extra material (you have to take care as you do this!) Not only has this solved the prob but I get the extra insulation and damp-rising resistance. :) Might be a way for you to avoid further punctures.
PS I also added webbing loops to anchor the mat when there is ground slope.

groundinsmat.jpg

Reactions: gibson 175

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
A bit of silicone sealant rubbed over a square of canvas then pressed onto the puncture works, ive had a few of them before too unfortunately.

Tonysco

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE