Increasing sleeping bag rating

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
I was pondering how to improve my nanok sleeping bag rating and thought about a silk liner or similar. Then I had a thought, what about using my hammock overquilt inside the bag. Anyone tried this for winter-time camping?

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
If the outer bag is big enough and light enough not to compress the air out of it, itll work to a fashion, maybe very well. Only trying it will you know for sure mate but I'd wager it wont be colder.

I've used my UQ successfully as a bag topper in the winter, but thats effectively a shaped down blanket.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I just use a silk liner when its really cold, with a bivi bag over the outside of the bag (in a hammock)

Works wonders. Dont see why your overquilt would not work, in or... over!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It'll probably work better over the top I think Alan

I'm taking every layer I own for the cold camp hang :)

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Does no one here take a hot water bottle with them? I expect the ultralighters will burst a blood vessel at the thought but seriously, one last brew up of the night and you will have a rubber filled delight warming your cockles:)

Steve.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I use my nato bottle usually as my hot water bottle.

I do use a silk liner at times but usually end up entangled in it.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Does no one here take a hot water bottle with them? I expect the ultralighters will burst a blood vessel at the thought but seriously, one last brew up of the night and you will have a rubber filled delight warming your cockles:)

Steve.

I've used a Nalgene bottle a few times, chucked down to the foot end of my bag when it's baltic

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
you can get a liner for about £15-20 which gives you another 5 or so degrease c, not bad and they pack up small, most camping shops do them, or just get an army doss bag or a good down one..

remember insulation is the key to keeping warm wheather in a hammock or on the ground...:)

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
lol

I've been reading up on dew points in damp conditions, and a train of thought goes, that it's sometimes worth while putting an insulating layer on top of your bivi to stop condensation damping out your sleeping bag. This would only work if your overquilt is synthetic.

kINGPIN

Nomad
Dec 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
Fleece liners are fantastic in the winter. I have a cheapo tesco one and it just about keeps my legs and feet warm, but I have seen the Gelert liner and its very good quality for the price.

Alternativly if you use a bivi bag, that adds a degree of warmth.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I've always looked at it like clothing. more layers, trapping more air which when warmed by your body creates an insulated barrier?? don't know if thats right, it's just the way I think of it.

so I have a silk liner then a fleece blanket [which I've stiched into a bag shape] inside my sleeping bag, in side a bivi. If its REALLY cold I keep all my clothes on AND put on all the other dry/cold weather clothes I've brought as well... Feels a bit like the michelin man but toasty.

Oh and also have a nice hot cup of tea before you go to bed...

Im always warmer ........ eventually if i take me socks off other wise they just get damp then cold
i do find that a Shemagh draped over my head out side the bag keeps the head warm as it slows the loss of heat breathed out tho is it damp

and on a HH the 4 season over cover top is great again it traps the warm air in the hammock
i really need ot get a new one for my larger hammock dont need the under cover as my new one has a double bottom ;)

ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE