Increasing press stud strength?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Is there a trick to making a press stud a tighter fit or so it doesn't come undone as easily?

I want to avoid fitting new studs as that will involve quite a bit of work.

I will add a pic of the stud asap.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Sometimes you can bend the circular (or thereabouts) spring a bit to tighten it but that tends not to be a very long life solution.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Unfortunately I have found there is a huge variation in quality of press studs. I have had to rework several leather projects in the past because I didn't realise how weak some of the studs were until I had finished a few pieces.

Reactions: Ch@rlie

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
i don't hold much hope tbh, its an old leather jacket sleeve. Not too fussed but if there was a tweak its all good.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Have you got a little "drift punch?" Even a nail with the point filed off?
Whack the rim of the female socket part to dent it inwards a little
for a better "grab." Maybe in 2 or 3 places. You'll need a steel-hard work surface.
That works better than trying to mushroom the male bump half.

Reactions: Toddy

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
cU72hfCl.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
TLM's right about the spring.
If it is that kind of stud, have a look and see if the spring is actually still there. Sometimes they crack and the little pieces fall away unnoticed. If that has happened you can butcher a new one for it's spring.
It's not easy to fit the replacement, especially if it's a rivet type rather than a sewn on one, but it is possible.
I make jewellery, and the tiny little pliers are ideal, but my husband's electronic pliers are just a neat.
I have used decent tweezers before now to do the job though.

If it's not that kind of stud, if it's one of the KAM type, then you can sometimes get them to tighten up by gently distorting the inner protrusion. Make it a little more oval rather than round.
I like the sound of Robson Valley's tiny punch marks though.

If it's something worth the time, something you'll get a lot of wear or use out of, it's generally easier to just replace it.
The Shoe Repair (Timpson's for instance) folks have a machine that will fit one for you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE