Increased utility bills

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
We've just come to the end of our fixed period for electricity and been put onto a variable rate while I look at other options, the closest I can find is nearly £200/month more than we've been paying/paying right now. My bill is going from about £1500/year to nearly £4,000/year.

Anyone else having the same issues?

I get some of the reasoning behind the increases but it's still quite astounding and they say it's going to go up a lot more...

Reactions: wookii

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I'm on oil heating and the increase has been astounding. In an hour and a half last week it went up from £377 to £393 (500ltrs) just over a year ago it was £198. Fortunately I bought at £393 as today it's £550.
Electricity is going the same way, it's really worrying. The woodburner is being used more and more in my home!

Sent from Somerset using magic

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yep, same here. This may make the biggest contribution to the environment yet - we're going to have to reduce the oil and electricity we use as our bills look set to double over the year :(

We've turned the heating down and reduced the time it is on. I've finally managed to get the missus to think about reducing car journeys and planning trips for shopping etc. instead of just 'nipping' out when we feel like it. I'm planning on seasoning more wood this year than normal; if we have the log burner on 'trickle' all day the house is much warmer in the evening.

Hopefully, world affairs will settle before the end of summer though I doubt prices will ever return to pre-Covid.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
At those electricity prices the pay back time of an air-to-air heat pump for heating the house is quite short.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Anyone else having the same issues?

I get some of the reasoning behind the increases but it's still quite astounding and they say it's going to go up a lot more...
Not the same issue Tone but.... similar

Calor are actually turning business away. If you are not an existing customer for bottle gas, you can jog on. Even as an existing customer they will only sell a full cylinder if you have an empty one. Fills for bulk containers are on a three to four week wait. Flogas are the same.

In farming terms, wheat futures are up 40% and it's believed lack of fertiliser will result in significant reductions in harvests.

I could go on

Reactions: santaman2000

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
I’m waiting for my new ‘bill’ details. Currently paying £163 a month and expect it to rise by another £40/50. A lot of the price increase is loaded onto the electric standing charge - this is because everyone has electric and this covers the costs of companies taking on the failed companies etc.

Personally I’d take a further increase if it meant the world turned its back on reliance on Russian oil and gas. And it forced a drive to increased use of renewables and development of them.

Reactions: bobnewboy

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
Yep, same here. This may make the biggest contribution to the environment yet - we're going to have to reduce the oil and electricity we use as our bills look set to double over the year :(

We've turned the heating down and reduced the time it is on. I've finally managed to get the missus to think about reducing car journeys and planning trips for shopping etc. instead of just 'nipping' out when we feel like it. I'm planning on seasoning more wood this year than normal; if we have the log burner on 'trickle' all day the house is much warmer in the evening.

Hopefully, world affairs will settle before the end of summer though I doubt prices will ever return to pre-Covid.
I’ve dug the push bike out of the garage and will use that for short trips and some shopping.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
At this rate they'll be opening up the British pits again.
Good. We need to get back to energy independence. We’re looking at huge heating oil and electricity price rises as pensioners, followed up by much steeper food prices to come. Thankfully , in some ways, we don’t have mains gas here, but those price rises impact everything else. We will grow even more of our own food, as far as possible, but we’re not digging up one of our lawns yet.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I’m waiting for my new ‘bill’ details. Currently paying £163 a month and expect it to rise by another £40/50. A lot of the price increase is loaded onto the electric standing charge - this is because everyone has electric and this covers the costs of companies taking on the failed companies etc.

Personally I’d take a further increase if it meant the world turned its back on reliance on Russian oil and gas. And it forced a drive to increased use of renewables and development of them.
Our leccy is going up from £88 per month to £135 per month, but that is just for the next price cap in April. It is very likely to go up much more yet. I think we’ll be filling our logstore completely in the next few weeks. We will only use heating oil for hot water as much as possible. Fingers crossed but I can’t see Carrie Antionette allowing our PM to change direction soon ;)

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
Good. We need to get back to energy independence. We’re looking at huge heating oil and electricity price rises as pensioners, followed up by much steeper food prices to come. Thankfully , in some ways, we don’t have mains gas here, but those price rises impact everything else. We will grow even more of our own food, as far as possible, but we’re not digging up one of our lawns yet.
No, no. Coal is a filthy fuel that does nothing but harm to the environment when it’s both extracted and burnt.

Reactions: Broch

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
No, no. Coal is a filthy fuel that does nothing but harm to the environment when it’s both extracted and burnt.
Depends on its grade. At the moment we import our coal from Russia, and it really is a dirty fuel, and believe it or not, wood chip from North America.

Anthracite is fairly low sulphur and high carbon. My steam engine enthusiast mates really miss it.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
However, I have dusted down my WTSHTF plan :)

The power outages this year made me realise my water resourcing is not good enough - we're on a borehole and my small generator (inverter type) won't drive my water pump. I have a new generator arriving tomorrow.

Reactions: British Red

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
However, I have dusted down my WTSHTF plan :)

The power outages this year made me realise my water resourcing is not good enough - we're on a borehole and my small generator (inverter type) won't drive my water pump. I have a new generator arriving tomorrow.
WTSHTF???

Think you've included a typo there.

When the CENTRAL heating Thermostat Fails.

Its a C you are looking for , not an S

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE