Inbuilt compass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

I've never actually seen one implanted but came pretty close to obliging several officers myself whilst I was still serving in HMF! :lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thing is though, some folks do genuinely seem to have an inbuilt North.
I don't have it, but my husband and son1 definitely do. They just never get lost of North.
Heaven knows why :dunno:

M

Stood

Feb 21, 2012
Lancashire
Hi All,

Yes, I heard it on a R4 science program a few weeks ago.

Not my 'thing' but if you like/need to know where is the go for the vibes !

Cheers

Boots

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I think that knowing north is a lot different from navigation.

I have a good sense of North. But, I lost it twice and that scared me quite badly.
My compass showed that my head was out by 90 degrees each time.

I wonder if the north sensing vibration has had any influence on the arrangement of that couple's bedroom furnishings.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
These guys were on a radio4 show a while ago. It actually sounded like quite an experience to have one fitted.

I get the points about "just carry a compass" but you cannot "feel" a compass 24/7. The way it was explained is that it was like acquiring a new sense, like an anchor.

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
These guys were on a radio4 show a while ago. It actually sounded like quite an experience to have one fitted.

I get the points about "just carry a compass" but you cannot "feel" a compass 24/7. The way it was explained is that it was like acquiring a new sense, like an

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Most mountain valleys here are so narrow that GPS does not work. And, they need batteries.
With markers on both the case and the bezel and on the needle of my Recta Prospector,
I can "See" North all night long, if need be. circa 1964.
My bigger Brunton Eclipse 8099 has no markers but I've added a micro LED light to the lanyard.

Try and explain your implanted, north-sensing buzzer to airport security. Don't stare at the calluses on their knuckles, either.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Should be a WiFi sort of thing. I know a guy with a heart pacemaker, he can change the speed (wireless).

Both of my compasses live in my day pack. I have no reason to keep them anywhere else.
Hernias, hemmeroids and heart attacks = big game hunters here don't operate that far from any logging track, even with a quad.
It's wandering fools like me that get disoriented.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Why does he need to know where North is?
He does not look like somebody that ventures beyond the boundaries of his city.

It is an experiment into simulating a new sense rather than a "reading from a device".

Surely it would be hard to turn down the ability to "sense" within a few degrees or less a bearing? A sense as innate as temperature without the need for compass, reading puddles or prevailing winds?
Perfect nav in complete darkness, smoke filled room,,.. Shopping Mall hell! type places with no horizon?

Remember these are experiments in experience/perception as well as tech. You never know, one day it might be a single pill and you will simply feel where north is.

Barmy times. ;)

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Trivial.
In daytime the sun tells me where North is .
At night time , the stars and Polaris tell me instead ...
If it's cloudy at night , might as well have a rest and wait for the morning.
Simples

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE