In Which Tengu Plots and Schemes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Comming into a small windfall...most will be for debt paying, but there will be a bit left over (approx £1000)

Id like to get out and experience something completley different.

(a day trip to the seaside might be a worthy experience, seeing as I have not seen such a locale in nearly 10 years)

Has anyone any suggestions?

stuartmac5

Oct 14, 2006
southampton, uk
fly to darwin in north Australia, (£550 ish) and go to a backpackers hostel
enrol on a 10 day bush camping trip down to Broome in Western Australia(£400) with one of the guides contactable at the hostels.
if it is anything like my trip, it will be the most memorable thing in your life bar none. You will swim with crocodiles, camp with a 'head to toes' view of the stars whilst sleeping and witness sharks swiming in inland canals when you are fishing.
spend the other 50 squid backpacking back to Darwin or down to Perth for your flight home (borrow 500 quid!) :)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Tengu said:
Comming into a small windfall...most will be for debt paying, but there will be a bit left over (approx £1000)

(a day trip to the seaside might be a worthy experience, seeing as I have not seen such a locale in nearly 10 years)

I'd go here, Merthyr Mawr in the summer. or here right about now Seaton or Lyme Regis

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
You could buy a sharp knife and some safety goggles :lmao:

The jurassic coast in Dorset is always good,especially if you have an interest in geology ;)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Apropo of nothing at all - really love your thread titles Tengu....very like the chapter titles of some of my favourite novels!

They always make me smile - a rare gift and appreciated

Red

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I dont think Australia (anyhow, it doesnt exist; its just something dreamed up by the classical geographers to balance the continents in the northern hemisphere...)

The Dorset coastal path sounds a good idea; its one of our most exciting stretches of coastline. (I like geology)

Seaton and Lyme regis is nice, two other small seaside towns that are good are Dawlish and Tenby. (places small enough to explore on foot, as these sort of places are often a nightmare to park in)

All pembrokshire is nice and varied.

Another part of Wales that is good is Anglesey, varied scenery, some busy areas, lots of quiet areas, access to Snowdonia.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It sounds like you enjoy good old Pembs!
SSooooooo, - come to Pembrokeshire, learn how to canoe (or improve your skills) with a certain level four canoe coach (me), go canoe camping 'bushy' style on the Daugleddau waterway (I know some cracking spots), explore the Preseli Mountains with a chap who has written a couple of books on the area (ah - me again...) have a cracking time and help a fellow bushcrafter earn an honest crust.......
I am away all of July but will be back from leading expeds in Thailand for August - if I survive!
An honest suggestion.
John

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
It sounds a great offer but I only ever use a kayak.

(but my kayak would be well adapted to river camping.)

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Tengu said:
The Dorset coastal path sounds a good idea; its one of our most exciting stretches of coastline. (I like geology)

Seaton and Lyme regis is nice, two other small seaside towns that are good are Dawlish and Tenby. (places small enough to explore on foot, as these sort of places are often a nightmare to park in)

All pembrokshire is nice and varied.

Another part of Wales that is good is Anglesey, varied scenery, some busy areas, lots of quiet areas, access to Snowdonia.

For £1,000 I'd be happy to arrange a short break for you to any of the above. Just let me know which you'd prefer. In fact I could probably arrange a couple of them for you. ;)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
John Fenna said:
It sounds like you enjoy good old Pembs!
SSooooooo, - come to Pembrokeshire, learn how to canoe (or improve your skills) with a certain level four canoe coach (me), go canoe camping 'bushy' style on the Daugleddau waterway (I know some cracking spots), explore the Preseli Mountains with a chap who has written a couple of books on the area (ah - me again...) have a cracking time and help a fellow bushcrafter earn an honest crust.......
I am away all of July but will be back from leading expeds in Thailand for August - if I survive!
An honest suggestion.
John

If John doesn't make it back from Thailand then I could guide you around our sunny county, the Preselis, the Coastal Path etc.:lmao:
I would seriously consider doing the canoe / kayak thing with John, He is a great bloke and guide!

Or if you like geology why not pack yourself off to Iceland. That place is one living moving geology study!!

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Tengu said:

I'm hoping to come into a small windfall too Tengu from reclaiming my bank charges that everyones going on about at the Mo. :rolleyes:
I've sent off the letter and a spread sheet to my bank and it adds up to...................wait for it.........................£3,400 ish :eek: I havn't got it yet though. I've got a letter from them telling me how sorry they are to hear of my complaint and they're looking into it. (So why charge it in the first place if you're SO sorry?)
OK so I'm good at spending but not saving. :rolleyes: Most of my money goes on bills. Anyway, life's for living I say. :headbang: :beerchug: I'm going to save it when I get it, ready for my move back to Devon within the next 18 months or so. I was going to go earlier but for personal reasons I'm delaying it till around june 2008 now. I've got a good wedge put by for my son when he goes to University which I got from selling my mobile home and that's all his to get him through Uni. Spend it on yourself and enjoy it. You're a long time gone :rolleyes:
I'd go with Devon or Cornwall too as others have said, but then I'm biased.

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
Tengu said:

Aloha Tengu,

I don't know if £1,000 will cover your trip but have you considered Hawaii? Every side is seaside! You may want to do more than a day trip to make it worth your while though. I think £1,000 will cover round trip airfare for one and a few incidentals.

In fact, we have a group camping (family camping) scheduled in about three weeks. You are welcome to join us.

Wherever you decide to go, have fun! And stay safe.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
How about doing a bushcraft course on coastal foraging or something similar? That way, not only do you get to see the coast (as you mention), you also get to learn something too while you are doing it.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Who does a good course like that? Its certainly an idea.

I still like the idea of Dorsets coast, but will leave it for now as that wont cost much. I was thinking somewhere or something that would need money.

Id like to see some of GBs islands, as I have read a lot about them and have never had the opportunity to go there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE