In trying not to poison myself or anything...

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
When leaping and dancing through the old English countryside miles from anywhere (oh, alright then, trudging through a muddy wooded area in my dirt covered boots trying to ignore the nearest housing estate) are there any tree leaves that I really shouldn't be eating apart from Yew?

And also, excluding Pine and Lime flowers, can anyone recommend some good 'tea' leaves?

I thank you.
:shock:

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
not exactly trees but.......

a couple of teas, cammomile of course, rosehips, i like coltsfoot flowers they are good for coughs (tho some say they are carcinogenic i think ya need several tons for this to be a real possibility)
Try rosepetals or peppermint too
elderflower tea

beech nut or acorn coffee? after roasting and grinding the nuts

happy foraging and welcome :wave:

Tant

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
There aren't many that are poisonous (although there are many that are just plain vile). Elder leaves are both common and poisonous. As you mentioned, yew is one to steer clear of too.

Welcome ot BCUK!

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
I don't think I can answer that question with getting myself arrested....can I?

Wow, what a welcome from everyone, cheers all, thanks for all the advice.

What a fantastic site, although bang goes my social life. Can you come out tonight Kimberly...'Er, well, no sorry, I'm going on the internet to talk to people about trees and stuff....'

oh deary deary me.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
'Ello Kimmy,

How you doing? Was good to meet you at the WG, BTW did you get my email with my address?

Tea and munching leaves eh!

Well personally I'd say try making a tea from dried bramble leaves (the green shoots taste like bacardi) or of course you can make nettle tea.

Munching leaves well in the spring you can't go wrong which beech leaves or Hawthorn leaves and buds - another good one is the elderflower.

But never take anybodies 'word for it,' - always check with a reliable source before trying any new munchy. :biggthump

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
A good book to carry around with you is the small Collins Gem "Food for Free" by Richard Mabey. Great, compact book!

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Food for Free - I agree, its a great little book!

Hey Gary, thanks for your e-mail, got all your info. Bacardi tasting tea, mmm, I'll try anything once.

Once you've dried leaves can you freeze them, and do you have to dry them before you freeze them?

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
dried leaves and flowers should keep without freezing

i can only see freezing causing you headaches by making everything go soggy as cold stuff attracts moisture as it warms

Tant

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
As Tant say once dried just keep them away from the damp.

The leaves dont taste like Bacardi Kim thats the fresh young shoot which you can eat raw - the leaves taste ........ well green if that makes sense.

Now find me cherry bakewell tasting leaves and I will be a happy teddy!! :rolmao:

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
I've been trying desperately to think up some reply with the phrase 'exceedingly good' in there somewhere, but I can't - so I've given up...

Yes, cherry bakewell tea, a reference to the wilderness gathering and some slightly inebriated didgeridoo playing gentleman, some of whom had trouble staying upright...

:eek:): and I'll leave it at that!!

Thanks for so much advice! FONT]

Sep 6, 2004
Northampton
Hi kim good to meet you at WG. Ground ivy tea, made from leaves, is really nice. Someone made it for me once but I dont know if you dry the leaves or use them fresh(best ask an expert). catch you soon

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Hi Kim and Hi Ollie
I'm very glad to see you both on here :wave: :super:
120DSCI0019-med.JPG

Ollie forth from the left, Kim fifth from left :photo: :stooges:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE