In the news today......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
CLEM has one of those jobbies. They are really effective against any insect so far. You can see them veer off. Not tested against midges yet though, but it’s a sound bet that it would work.

Even in a mozzie hot spot where there are clouds of them, it drives them off within minutes of firing it up. Those annoying flies too.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Early summer there was some commotion because apparently these things use a substance that can be toxic to to other than insects. Many stores took them off sales. I don't know how real the scare is but it is toxic unlike DEET that works as a receptor blocker.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigjackbrass

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Never ever seen them. Dad told me about them in Scotland, but I haven’t been there yet. And never seen them in Wales or Cornwall or England. Are they just bad in Scotland? I have seen ticks and mosquitoes and horseflies and all the other stuff but they don’t really bite me much.
They used to be a bit of an issue on our Cumbrian hillfarm when we had it.
They can't really cope with much windspeed so not a problem on windy days though.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I'd settle for a very effective repellant.
Most of the present Mosquito "repellents" are receptor blockers, when the poor hungry female mosquito is following the raising (ie. gradient) of moisture/warmth/carbon dioxide concentration it hits the DEET cloud that blocks some of her receptors so the apparent gradient is towards some other direction, that is the reason for her turning away. I don't know if that is preferable to killing her but as long as it stays away from me, I am all for it.

Reactions: Robson Valley

ONE

Nov 21, 2019
N. Ireland
There's a little black fly that hangs about the River Orne and the Caen Canal. Bit bigger than a midge. They lift me into lumps that can go up to about the size of a marble, sometimes bigger even.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Most of the present Mosquito "repellents" are receptor blockers, when the poor hungry female mosquito is following the raising (ie. gradient) of moisture/warmth/carbon dioxide concentration it hits the DEET cloud that blocks some of her receptors so the apparent gradient is towards some other direction, that is the reason for her turning away. I don't know if that is preferable to killing her but as long as it stays away from me, I am all for it.
I can't remember what brand it is but I have one of the super duper repellents and it really should be renamed "Repugnant" cos it reeks like a burnt out clutch.
Id rather be bitten than use it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Scotland is having it's hottest September day in 115 years !

It sure is. Lanarkshire, in the shade in my back garden, the temperature is 24.3˚C right now.
I am sweltered.

Himself went for a walk this morning and brought me home a foraged kg of plums :) my raspberries are fruiting like crazy, the apples are looking ginormous and the quince bushes are bent under the weight of fruit.

Heaven only knows what Winter's going to be like.

M

fingertrouble

Tenderfoot
Sep 6, 2021
London, UK
We do get them here in Sussex, but not too pesky. When we camp in one of our favourite places near Amberley on the River Arun there are always a couple of hours early evening when they pile in and have their itchy supper. That’s when we light the fire, open a beer, and sit in the smoke. Then they’re gone for the night.

I still have about half a tin of the Stupidly Simple pine tar midge repellant left, that stuff works a treat for the minor problem we have here.
That reminds me - do you or anyone know a good place to find pine tar soap in the UK that is a repellent?

I did buy some from Wales, it smells good enough, but didn't seem to disturb the insects that much although I didn't get bitten, I wasn't gallumphing through the swamps or undergrowth so not really a test. Shame they've stopped making that, sounds ideal.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Excessive heat and smoke and flames is what the murder hornet nests need.
I have heard no news (which is good news) about any other new nests being found.
I do not apologize for my attitude regarding introduced invasive species.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
That reminds me - do you or anyone know a good place to find pine tar soap in the UK that is a repellent?

I did buy some from Wales, it smells good enough, but didn't seem to disturb the insects that much although I didn't get bitten, I wasn't gallumphing through the swamps or undergrowth so not really a test. Shame they've stopped making that, sounds ideal.
This any good? I have it, but don't know what it does for insects.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
This any good? I have it, but don't know what it does for insects.
Keeps their whiskers clean. :)

I love the stuff, but I’m not sure it’s pungent or long lasting enough to repel insects.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE