In search of

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ChrisAsh

Apr 19, 2019
Cheshire
Hello everyone, this is only my second post, so apologies if this is located in the wrong topic, (if it is mods please move/remove) as I'm not yet a full member I can't post in the classifieds.
Anyway to the point.

I'm looking for a belt sheath for a bacho laplander, however I'm picky and would like one in a scout carry right hand draw from right hand side of back.

My mindset for this is I try to keep my belt as simple as possible, and without too much clutter. I already have a drop pouch on my left side and my axe loop, on my right is my belt knife on a dangler.

The idea of a scout carry for the laplander is to avoid another dangler on my right side simply because I don't want something else swinging around in that area.

If anyone has any ideas, or if there are any leather craft makers who are interested in creating something then please get in touch with me.

Ps great forum with lots of information to take in.

Chris

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Do you really need a saw on your belt?
How many times a day do envision moving around and then needing really quick access to saw something?
Will scout carry get in the way of rucksack hip belts?

Just a few questions you might want to consider before adding more clutter to your belt

ChrisAsh

Apr 19, 2019
Cheshire
I understand your points, and have thought about it.
Interference from hip belt - not a problem as my belt kit is located in bag whilst travelling (it is better to travel with the sharp items not easily accessible)

The reason for the laplander is for easy of use while away from shelter location, foraging, gathering resources ect. My primary tool for reducing the size of wood before splitting is using my Boreal 21 folding bucksaw, my use of the laplander is purely opertunistic processing, yes I have an axe loop on my belt, however it spends most of the time empty unless I'm purposely going out to take a dead standing.
I currently carry the laplander in a cargo pocket on my trousers, I however don't like how it makes the leg of the trousers moves around as I'm walking
Along side your comment why cary a knife on a belt how often is it needed, yet we all/most of us tend to do just that.

Remember that my bushcraft is not necessarily the same as yours, what works for me, will not necessarily work for you.

I'm a new member, I'm not new to the skills and knowledge that is what is affectionately called bushcraft.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Just a couple of thoughts buddy. Not trying to tell you what to do or owt like that.
Its a hobby, enjoy it however you want! :)

Why carry a knife on your belt? I generally dont :D

ChrisAsh

Apr 19, 2019
Cheshire
It is only a recent change to how I operate as I now have access to a private woodland where I can now do so.

It saves having to use my day pack while away from where I'm set up with a shelter. Previously my tools were kept in the said day pack, I'm now trying to find a method of working that works for me.

Why carry a knife? Why do we do this hobby? Both questions are hard to answer.

My belt knife is a scandi grind great for wood based work, not so good at skinning a grey squirrel, for that I have a 2inch flat grind neck knife as I have better performance from that grind to do that job.

Do I have to have a knife on my belt? No I don't but I like the option of doing so.

Yesterday on the fly by having the belt knife I took advantage of it being with me by quickly producing a digging stick, to assist with collecting some burdock roots, that I subsequently roasted for my dinner. Without a knife yea I still could have gathered the roots, having the tool to make that process easier was a bonus.

Reactions: Robbi

ChrisAsh

Apr 19, 2019
Cheshire
Now that is a method I never thought of, probably because I already used a belt with a drop pouch (used for foraging and tinder gathering) that it was logical to make the addition of a knife

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Yeah I just find balderic style carry the most handy for getting at the knife while being the least in the way of anything else. It's protected from weather and getting knocked/caught up on stuff yet easy to remove and wear outside of coats or whatever when you need it regularly

Best of all you only need a bit of string to try it out. I tend to use that flat paracord type stuff in a three strand plait to make a wider strap

Plus like you I can't stand stuff swinging about and banging into my legs as I walk

bgreen

Apr 6, 2016
UK
Hi Chris

Given above, don't know if it's still relevant but I was looking for a sheath for a Laplander when I bought mine a while back. Personally, although they look very nice, I couldn't rationalise paying more for a 'top jolly' leather sheath than the cost of the Laplander itself.

I ended up buying one of these

https://www.vipertacticalshop.co.uk/viper-p90-mag-pouch.html.

I think they are meant for airsoft gun magazines and come in various colours. There's enough attachments on the back to put them on a belt or any molle type arrangement. At the time a paid about a fiver. They are a bit more now but available from various outlets including ebay and amazon.

They take a Laplander with a couple of inches (in length) to spare and I've found mine fairly hard wearing.

ChrisAsh

Apr 19, 2019
Cheshire
I can see the use, and also pricing things up, I like the look of leather, I've decided to have an atempt at crafting one myself, just another skill to add to my knowledge.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE