In praise of a tinsmith

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi all
feeling flush I have just ordered a replica 18th C tinder box from these folk

http://www.cg-tinsmith.com/index.htm

It will be a smaller pocket version of the one they do in their catalogue and I am really looking forward to it.

Anyroad I'd like to say how good their service is and the quality of their product (no connection just one happy bunny of a customer).

Heres a (OK I apologise, I was trying to be arty) pic of the stuff I have already had off them. I have since replaced /added proper period linen rope to the water bottle and oil can (available from any good bondage store, I'm told) and bees waxed the inside of the water bottle. Its part of the period trecking kit I am building up fr the fun of it.

Tinware01.jpg

My lads are getting increasingly into scouting, bushcraft and history so I should actually take the shine off it this year.

Incidentally the sulphur has arrived for the sulphur matches, the splints are all ready so I'm just waiting on a decent days weather to get melting. In the meantime I will make a foot or so of slowmatch with the Potassium nitrate to go in a cut down brass cartridge case tinder tube thingy I cobbled together.

All the best!

Tom

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
That looks very good, I like the small mug/cup a lot..... If you had the time, could you do a close up of the knife in the bottom left? Is the detail round the choil decorative or for a purpose?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats lovely stuff - really very impressive - I love the candle lanterns that take proper tapers. Wish I could find their like in the UK :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE