In need of a rescue/ safety knife...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Evening all,

I'm in the market for a new rescue knife. Ideally it needs to be serrated and have a blunt tip. I'm in the emergency services and need something that can be attached to a utility belt. I haven't decided between a folder or fixed blade yet. It needs to be serrated for cutting rope and be highly visible for use in inclement weather! As my work involves using a harness and hanging over rather steep edges i'm leaning towards a folder as a matter of safety e.g. if i crush the knife against a rock face there is no sheath to break and less chance of injury.
Some of the other chaps on my team are using fixed blades but the main drawback I see is the sheath getting crushed. Any opinions? I realise there are some expensive options from spyderco but for the amount the knife gets used I think it would be a waste of money. Any suggestions for under £50? I have considered the Gerber EZ Out and the Victorinox rescue knife, any experience with these?

Advice appreciated :)
troutman

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
Ive been a firefighter for 20 years. Gerber Hinderer is fantastic. Can be acquired at that price from USA. Had mine for 6 years. Went "missing" from my car duri g the week it was serviced. No evidence of theft. Just instinct. Still miss it!

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
A Petzl Spatha knife ? I have used one before & they are ok, but I have never used one for what you are doing. But that is what they are designed for, lightweight, single hand opening & you can clip a karabiner in to them. Normally less than £20 I think you can get serrated or plain version.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
7b0fb47PK122.jpg

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
you can get the above with a part serrated blade and a marlin spike that might be useful ( my local tackle shop has them for about £16 ish ) all stainless steel bulet proof knives.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Thanks guys! Some good suggestions and I greatly appreciate it! Does anyone know what the size of the belt loop is on the LOMO? (if it has one) my belt is about 2" wide and about 1/4" thick. Also I jad considered the mora but was put off by its sheath. The kydex seems a good option, any ideas of the cost and where to get one from? Thanks again for all your help :D

tinderbox

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
East Lothian
I wouldn't make a point a deal breaker. If you find a knife that ticks all the boxes otherwise it's not a big job to file the point to a blunt end.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE