In Galloway Forest recently

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Gill and I had an evening out recently

dadspics020.jpg

dadspics009.jpg

dadspics015.jpg

dadspics010.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You did indeed :cool:
Complete with a steak dinner by the looks of it :D

Where did you get that grill ? and what size is it ?

cheers,
M

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
sorry Mary your meaning the mesh,its not a a grill as such ,its a couple of pieces of angle iron with a large non stick cooling rack form tx maxx on top.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's the bit :D
It looks a lot bigger than my cake racks.........I need a bit like that 53 x 14 cms to support glass coals over the flicker bit of an electric fire.
It just looked sound enough.

Looks like the pair of you had a good night out :D Did you hammock or tent it ?

cheers,
M

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
:lmao:
Stuart it was a rather civilised do :D ,gas lamps et al,it was nearly a black tie affair.

Mary, I was trying out the 'Polish laavu' and Gill the 'Transit tent';)

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Tam , was that loch doon u were at ,, good fotees ...

Aye,
It was a compromise though.

It was going to have been L Trool or another wee Loch down there but circumstances had us set up between L Doon and L Bradan.

Weather and light were against us for getting the canoes in the water.

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
what was it like any sign of wardens or no camping signs anywere, i heard they have clamped doon a bit on campers , any truth in that

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
what was it like any sign of wardens or no camping signs anywere, i heard they have clamped doon a bit on campers , any truth in that

Just for caravans mate. Wild camping is still ok. Can't really stop wild camping at the end of the day.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
There's a Ranger for the loch now but he's one of us;)

Hopefully he'll get on here eventually.

Big stevie's brand new. Gummy was sayin he met ye in at tunskeen the other week. Gonna get up there myself one night in the next couple of weeks.

Oct 25, 2009
Stranraer
I was through the forrest drive a couple of weeks ago after a paddle about Bradan, a load of caravans & transits now at the dam of Riecawr!!

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
I was through the forrest drive a couple of weeks ago after a paddle about Bradan, a load of caravans & transits now at the dam of Riecawr!!

Strange, the forest drive is meant to be closed until march. I'll ask my mate Jamie at uni about it. He works for the forestry mostly near reicawr. Could be forestry workers? or was it a total coup...ie: tinks? Wont be long until they're moved if it is. ;)

fisheyelens

Feb 12, 2010
Cumbria
Hey guys, I drove the forest road on Saturday and there was no one around, just alot of logging has been going on further down from the otter pool, so it might have been lads working over the winter.

I saw one guy in a logging tractor, he just waved when I pulled over. Never saw another soul, chilled out by the pool and made a brew on my hobo stove.

It was my first time up there, I saw all the "no fire" signs. Do you all just light fires in fire bins? I thought the ground was either waterlogged or just loads of rotting needles, would this burn like peat?

I am going to go back up and do some wild camping with a mate in a few weeks.

Cheers

Lee

EDIT - Sorry i just realised I searched for this :) so its an old post. But questions still stand lol Thanks!

Last edited:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Hey guys, I drove the forest road on Saturday and there was no one around, just alot of logging has been going on further down from the otter pool, so it might have been lads working over the winter.

I saw one guy in a logging tractor, he just waved when I pulled over. Never saw another soul, chilled out by the pool and made a brew on my hobo stove.

It was my first time up there, I saw all the "no fire" signs. Do you all just light fires in fire bins? I thought the ground was either waterlogged or just loads of rotting needles, would this burn like peat?

I am going to go back up and do some wild camping with a mate in a few weeks.

Cheers

Lee

EDIT - Sorry i just realised I searched for this :) so its an old post. But questions still stand lol Thanks!

Hi Lee,
Where we stopped was up near L Doon,a few miles North of the Raiders Road.

When in those areas we do use firepans to avoid leaving scars and there is always a risk of ground fire spreading below.

The forest drives are mainly closed until around the start of April.
This is for logging to get on unhindered.

It's a great area.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE