Improving navigation skills?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MrHare

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2012
Skipton,Yorkshire
Another vote of thanks to Ogri - that sounds like an interesting exercise, I'll be doing that myself in the winter evenings. Also a vote for orienting the map - I've seen people very confidently trying to give off an impression of 'oh, I'm so competent I can read a map from any angle'. It's hardly ever true and nearly always ends up making you look a fool.

Some handy tips here:

http://www.theomm.com/latest-news/139-mountain-navigation

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
It might be worth mentioning that Map Reading and Navigation are to a degree different things...

I've met folk who were really good at map reading reeling off conventional signs, grid references, relief info etc at will.
Putting that into practice on the ground and they were struggling..

It's possible to become proficient in Map reading and use of the compass say at home. To relate both those things to the actual ground and navigate you need to get out on the ground and the ease of relation of map to ground comes with practice. The more frequently you use the skills the more proficient and slick you become.

Fortunately OS mapping is some of the best in the world so you have that as an advantage in the UK...

I'd be inclined to pick a map scale say 1:50k and use that exclusively and get to know it really well. Rather than jumping from scale to scale.

HTH

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
I'm a fair navigator having done a fairly intensive course involving 8 figure grid references on bleak Lancashire moorland in winter!

Add an experiment I decided to navigate by assumption in the lake district. I was kitted out with backpacking gear, map compass, GPS etc and the weather was decent (ie, it wasn't reckless) I briefly looked at the map at home. Drove two hours to borrowdale and set off.

'Yeah, this is the path' I thought. Several hours later I wasn't where I expected to be. By working only on assumption and never using the map etc I'd ended up going up the wrong valley!

For me, a great learning experience. I know not to do that in future!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE