Imports from the USA

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
From HMRC website: HMRC Website

2.3 What are the limits for customs duty and import VAT?
Commercial consignments of £18 or less are free from customs duty and import VAT. For example, goods purchased over the internet with an intrinsic value not exceeding £18, will not be charged any duty or VAT but this does not include alcohol, tobacco products, perfume or toilet waters. See paragraph 2.5, 2.6 and section 3.
If you are sent a gift with a value of £40 or less, and which complies with the rules shown in paragraph 2.4, it will be free from customs duty and import VAT, but this does not include alcohol, tobacco, perfumes and toilet waters.
Customs duty becomes payable if the value of the goods is over £135 but duty is waived if the amount of duty calculated is less than £9.
There are a number of other circumstances where relief from some or all customs charges may be available. If you think your goods may be eligible for a relief you should contact the Customs Helpline for further information.

top ^
2.4 Gifts
Goods sent as a gift that are over £40 in value are liable to import VAT. Customs duty also becomes payable if the value of the goods is over £135 but is waived if the amount of duty calculated is less than £9.

To qualify as a gift:

the customs declaration must be completed correctly
the gift must be sent from a private person outside the EU to a private person(s) in this country
there is no commercial or trade element and the gift has not been paid for either directly or indirectly
the gift is of an occasional nature only, for example, for a birthday or anniversary.
Note: if you purchase goods from outside the EU to give as a gift to a relative or friend, whether or not addressed to that person, is treated as a ‘commercial consignment’ for which the import VAT relief threshold is £18 (paragraph 2.3 refers).

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Royal mail will hit you with £6 handling charge for paying your VAT on the item, and also the cost for the VAT

There's no getting around that... I think the threshold for customs Duty is £135, so if its a high value item, something to consider.

Give this a go http://www.dutycalculator.com/ Its actually pretty spot-on :)

al.

Last edited:

comeonbabylightmyfire

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2010
London
It's a royal pain trying to avoid import taxes and sundry duties in Britain. We're clobbered for duty at home too, VAT, fuel, alcohol, tobacco. Sometimes I loathe being British.

comeonbabylightmyfire

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2010
London
And wars.

We love a war we do. Especially if it's in an oil rich country ruled over by despotic nutjobs whom we routinely arm so that they can suppress any unpopularity at home. Hah, you thought you'd save a few pence avoiding import taxes. Now that's really criminal.

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
I added a post suggesting the item was sent as "gift" on the thread in such a way to avoid tax, it has been quite rightly pointed out to me that such an action would constitute tax fraud. I would therefore like to retract that comment as it was inappropriate and apologise to those who may have read it as it is, of course, illegal to avoid tax.

My sincerest apologies

Paul

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Mine comes off one or three mates and is always marked 'Used camping equipment' or 'Birthday present' value twenty bucks, never paid tax on any yet. Had a strange one from Germany, tubs of Optimus Power fuel (Naptha), sent air mail ! That was an unexpected present but amazed me it arrived un checked.

Also Cliff, some collectables can come in tax free so check on that too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE