Imagination or Barometer?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

Is it a regular occurrence or have I detected a recent, unusual upsurge in the number of bushcraft items being put up for sale on the site over the past couple of months?
The ratio of 'for sales' to other posts certainly appears to have gone up.

And if it is unusual what could it be an indication of - people needing cash for upgrades; people participating less in the pass-time
or we're all getting short of brass - again?!

Could the site in fact be an advanced indicator of the next economic/financial crash!! :confused:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I suspect a lot of it's to do with BB crashing so often over the past year. BcUK has never been a very sales orientated forum, but BB had a huge flow of sales between members.
There has always been a large cross over between here, BB and SotP; one market closes, or becomes unreliable to access, and another one becomes more active.

Might be sommat in what you suggest too, right enough :dunno:

M

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Drat! I read the title and clicked hoping to find a new bushcrafty way to judge changes in atmospheric pressure!

Z

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I'd agree on the BB crash being a major contributor although changes on there slowed it down even before the crash

I always have something up for grabs as I'm an impulsive buyer.

There is always another shiny I'm after and a while back I took the decision to have a one in one out policy.

My life is cluttered enough :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
A relaxed and busy home has soul :) and generally creative people.
"Your organisation is stiffling my creativity", as the saying goes.
Declutter is a fad for lazy people and those who spend too much time contemplating their failings. If the most interesting thing in your home is your decor, how empty your cupboards are, or the tv, then you need to get a life.

Yeah, I have issues :D Clean enough to be healthy, tidy enough to be comfortable, it'll do very well.
Kondo's lifestyle fills me with horror at the sadness within it. A minimalist home is simply a style choice, home ought to have things one likes, uses, appreciates, pieces of a long life joyfully lived. Like Morris, I keep things that are useful and beautiful, and if that includes pieces that trigger memories that I like to revisit, so be it :)
A minimalist lifestyle would bore me to unhappy tears.

M

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Maybe the For Sale posts are more visible than they used to be with the For Sale tag in red? perhaps there are less other threads to break up the sales ones? I remember a time when not looking for a day would lead to pages of new/updated threads to go through, seems to be about 20-30 at the moment.

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
I like the ebb and flow of second hand kit as some of it I have never even seen or heard of until someone flogs it, usually but not always alot cheaper.
I own more kit than i will ever be able to use but that is freedom of choice, and no kids, so buying and selling varies according to when I need space or a bit of extra cash.
Plus bb has gone awol.
Riven.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

Some interesting theories and comments.

Sorry Zingmo - but in any event I find that my imagination is better than the regularly inaccurate weather forecasts we seem to get in the UK!:)

Hmm - never thought of the BB site absence.

Yes Toddy, I agree that some items are ones to keep long term (like my wifey!:lmao:).

I too have noticed the drop-off in overall postings lou - but I have noticed that that has occurred over the past few years and put it down to people getting out more during the warmer/dryer months.

My best guess is that its a cash-flow situation as that other indicator of people becoming short - burglaries and theft - is on the up in my area!

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
A relaxed and busy home has soul :) and generally creative people.
"Your organisation is stiffling my creativity", as the saying goes.
Declutter is a fad for lazy people and those who spend too much time contemplating their failings. If the most interesting thing in your home is your decor, how empty your cupboards are, or the tv, then you need to get a life.

Yeah, I have issues :D Clean enough to be healthy, tidy enough to be comfortable, it'll do very well.
Kondo's lifestyle fills me with horror at the sadness within it. A minimalist home is simply a style choice, home ought to have things one likes, uses, appreciates, pieces of a long life joyfully lived. Like Morris, I keep things that are useful and beautiful, and if that includes pieces that trigger memories that I like to revisit, so be it :)
A minimalist lifestyle would bore me to unhappy tears.

M

Minimalist?
As far as tools are concerned I'm more of a Maximalist.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I feel the same myself.

I live in a nesting box now...I have to attempt to keep control of my kit.

I have a lot of books...for my studies...Very few are fiction.

My crafts are also part of my studies these days. Big overlap.

I have two collections.

Hornware. Learning the subject and so the best thing is to see as much as possible.

Local seashells. This is the Liberated Me. I always wanted to become a beachcomber...Most I have found (but I did buy a couple of big common whelk shells off of the fishmonger yesterday...30p each and you wont find stuff like that on the beach.)

Very little of my stuff has no use or meaning

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE