I'm such a whittler

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
The Whittling Twigs and Branches is a great book. He makes these little carving easy and fun to do. I even showed my neighbor kids how to do herons and chickens a couple of years back.

carvingkids5043on8.jpg

Only one band-aid (sticking plaster...what an odd name) required.

Good job on quitting smoking...have fun whittling.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I love that book too! Here's some roosters:
carving01.jpg

and my son's assorted balancing men
carving02.jpg

These are great fun. On our last spoon carving course he ran a string the length of the village hall and got everybody making them!

Far better for you than ciggies. Mind you I've been off them for two years now and have developed a serious spoon making addiction instead :D
Nicola

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
A recommendation from the Doc, what more can a guy ask for :D I'll have to find some bigger branches and do some spoons soon. I've a little gouge I'm thinking may work in place of a spoon knife :)

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Spoons made from branches are great (and very easy). This is my favorite I made in Sweden a couple of years ago - it's the perfect thing for bailing natural yogurt out of one of those big pots onto your chilli! Note the bits of bark on the sides of the handle:
IMG_0613.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

It's made by finding a suitable side branch sticking out the side of a main branch. Here's some I collected from some sycamore tops whilst Robin was logging up the rest:
IMG_0139e.jpg

The side branch makes the handle and you split the main branch in two to make the bowl. Here's before and after pictures of a little salt spoon I made which I think show where they come from:
IMG_0144e.jpg

IMG_0147e.jpg

IMG_0148e.jpg

For little spoons like this you don't need an axe at all which makes them great casual whittling projects. You should be able to carve the bowl out with a little gouge. If not these Frosts hooks do the job and only cost around a tenner:
frosts-hook.jpg

Nicola

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
And my fiancée has fallen in love with the round pot or kettle in the background, do you know where I could find one?
That is a very beautiful teapot by a very talented potter called Svend Bayer - originally Danish but lived most of his life in the UK. If you Google his name you'll find his stuff in various galleries and exhibitions, but the price tags are quite high. He and my husband Robin are big admirers of each others work and Svend gave him this teapot when we visited him last summer.
Nicola
PS here's a bit about him http://www.studiopottery.com/cgi-bin/mp.cgi?item=112

aarya

Oct 5, 2006
Norway
Whittling is fun.
I tend to go more for abstract or weird-looking thingies.
All three figures are birch by the way.
Like the eye, and the... Other thingie.
4sihq8.jpg

bey77s.jpg

Or my latest carving, a jumping fish.
(Supposed to be a trout, but as i`ve only had pictures online as inspiration, it might not be accurate.)
208v1g9.jpg

s1jp8m.jpg

Still haven`t made a spoon though. :eek:
Hopefully i`ll get there, eventually. :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE