i'm looking for marcasite

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
does anyone have a lead on a marcasite supply! i've been looking for a few years, without any success. over here in the states, a lot of abos would very, very much like to get some. i'll certainly pay for it, plus shipping, etc. although flint and steel is neat, i don't want to use steel...

thank you!

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
storm said:
does anyone have a lead on a marcasite supply! i've been looking for a few years, without any success. over here in the states, a lot of abos would very, very much like to get some. i'll certainly pay for it, plus shipping, etc. although flint and steel is neat, i don't want to use steel...

thank you!

I got hold of a nice sized chunk from a shop selling all sorts of "healing stones" in Paris... Minerales do Brasil. http://www.midobras.com/

In the US, similar shops, and those catering for mineral collectors would eb able to supply you.

http://mineral.galleries.com/scripts/item.exe?LIST+Minerals+Sulfides+Marcasite

Keith.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Motorbike Man said:
All I can say is good luck, I sell the stuff and Marcasite is not something I'll be trying :rolleyes:

The link Moonraker posted mentions bashing the flint against the lump of marcasite twenty times, or so.

It works, but takes some perseverence.

If I've understood correctly,
  • with a flint and steel, you're relying on the flint being hard enough to knock shards of white hot metal off the steel
  • with iron pyrites and steel, you're trying to get shards of white hot iron from the pyrites,

Is this how it works?

I think that Storm is trying to recreate paleolithic firestarting techniques, so he doesn't want to use smelted metal like iron or steel; he just wants a hard mineral.

Maybe flint and pyrites, or pyrites and marcasite would be a useful combination?

Keith.

I think that Storm is trying to recreate paleolithic firestarting techniques

quite correct. i wan't to excise modern iron from my doings (i'd love to try a meteorite out, though!).

i've had fantastic success starting fires with the one piece of marcasite i've had (in conjunction with a very dense flint). i think the rounded nodules of marcasite work infinitely better than any sort of cubic iron pyrite variety. the piece of marcasite i had was gold and silver colored...

Apr 3, 2008
Eindhoven, NL
quite correct. i wan't to excise modern iron from my doings (i'd love to try a meteorite out, though!).

i've had fantastic success starting fires with the one piece of marcasite i've had (in conjunction with a very dense flint). i think the rounded nodules of marcasite work infinitely better than any sort of cubic iron pyrite variety. the piece of marcasite i had was gold and silver colored...

that was a sad tailing off of your message, storm, did you piece of marcasite go the same way as mine? I have loads of marcasite splinters now, not much use at all... Did you ever find what you wanted?

all the best

Al.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This thread is now a very sad redundancy,

Storm was very ill, and recently took himself off into the woods and did not come back out.
Motorbikeman has resigned from the forums for personal reasons.

Could I ask that this thread is allowed to die, and you start another on the marcasite topic if you wish more information ?

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE