Im going to try my first wild boar today....

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
From Lidl;

1378iD7ADC4839E54AFC5

I just hope its not dissapointing and tastes like average pork.

Sounds like it needs some red wine.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Wild bore is vile Dave, best you send it up to me mate and I'll dispose of it for you ;)

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
God loves a trier! Well if you insist on risking it I can suggest a good onion gravy made with red wine. A little more like game than pork and darker meat. In for a treat there Dave. If only I could find a place to hunt them!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I think he might be right Dave... tastes like bacon thats been dragged behind a Land Rover for a month... not sure you should risk giving it to Mick, he might try to eat it. Best you post it to me and I'll dispose of it ethically. :rolleyes:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I love Wild Boar!
Jambon D'Ardenne (basically smoke cured Wild Boar ham served raw) is a favourite ... if only I could get it/afford it now!
In Croatia I had some of the best Wild Boar stews I have ever tasted - up in the mountains, cooked by the Guardian of a mountain hut... pity I did not get the recipes!
Rich, a bit gamey and nothing like farmed pork :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Twas a bit expensive. I think it was £7,99, but then nothing compared to your average pizza take away eh?

I'll have to take the doggy for walk and build up an appetite. Thanks for the recipe tips chaps....

Last edited:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
£7.99 a pound isn't that bad when you consider how much they're charging for beef steaks at the minute... we were going to have steaks for tea the other night until I saw the price of them at the local... would have cost £18 just in meat.... so got lamb steaks instead... cost just under £9.

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
Enjoy Dave, it's cinghiale (wild boar) season here just now, had a lovely ragu over polenta last week.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
..... A little more like game than pork and darker meat. In for a treat there Dave. If only I could find a place to hunt them!

Plan on a trip over here. They're an extreme nuisance and extremely prolific. No daily limit, no possession limit, no closed season, and (in most states) no license required. Most are killed and left to rot (too many to bother eating)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Plan on a trip over here. They're an extreme nuisance and extremely prolific. No daily limit, no possession limit, no closed season, and (in most states) no license required. Most are killed and left to rot (too many to bother eating)

well mate, thats just horrendous given then state of starving people in your country, im sure youd agree.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
well mate, thats just horrendous given then state of starving people in your country, im sure youd agree.

No....Not really. I've seen a LOT of homeless and even hungry; but nobody anywhere near starving. In any case, getting a few hundred hogs a night from a remote Texas ranch to a processing facility and then on to a feeding station up north would be extremely improbable; convincing them to eat it would be impossible. Considering the wild hogs killed as a food source for the masses is no more likely than considering the rats killed as a food source. We had to sneak the donated venison into the stroganoff at the soup kitchen without telling them.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No....Not really. I've seen a LOT of homeless and even hungry; but nobody anywhere near starving. In any case, getting a few hundred hogs a night from a remote Texas ranch to a processing facility and then on to a feeding station up north would be extremely improbable; convincing them to eat it would be impossible. Considering the wild hogs killed as a food source for the masses is no more likely than considering the rats killed as a food source. We had to sneak the donated venison into the stroganoff at the soup kitchen without telling them.

That said, the entire prison population in Alaska uses road kill for its entire meat source. Of course they have a very low population and a very healthy road kill (Moose and caribou)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE