I'm doing Ghillie kettle group buy

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
What are the differences between the Ghilly Kettle & Kelly kettle?

The Kelly comes with the pan kits etc for £60 (Ali Scout Kettle)
£70 for the Ghilly Explorer with the same.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
What are the differences between the Ghilly Kettle & Kelly kettle?

The Kelly comes with the pan kits etc for £60 (Ali Scout Kettle)
£70 for the Ghilly Explorer with the same.

The differences are kelly uses a cork and Ghillie uses a whistle (but Ghillie will give you a cork aswell for a very small amount if you want one)
They both work on the same principle of heat rising from the Fire Base of the kettles heating the water in the cylinder as it rises.

I see what you mean but on my group buy the Explorer with full kit is only going £51.72 + £5.00 P&P (postage same as kelly kettles)
Have a look in the group buy forum I have a full price list there.......
In fact forget that I'll paste below

http://www.ghillie-kettle.co.uk/

The Adventurer £34.49.
Anodised £41.96
Coated £37.49

The Explorer £31.43
Anodised £38.96
Coated £35.24

The Maverick £28.49
Anodised £33.71
Coated £31.49

MKettle £37.46

Full kits (Anodised) (Adventurer)£64.50 (Explorer)£61.46 (Maverick)£56.21
Full kits ................ (Adventurer)54.74 (Explorer)£51.72 (Maverick)£48.72

Pot Support £4.49.

Large cook kit anodised £14.96
Large cook kit £11.99.
Large´Xylan' coated £16.49.
Small Cook Kit £11.99
Small Cook Kit anodised £14.96

Triangular Support (Maverick) £4.49.
Triangular Support £5.24

Spare Whistle £5.24

Spare Fire Base (Maverick) £5.62
Spare Fire Base £6.00

Triangular Support (Maverick) £4.49
Triangular Support £5.24

Cork 50p

Last edited:

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
Sorry, I didnt put myself across well.

What are the differences in the actual product, Both look nearly identical in the photos on the respective web sites, Similar Spec list, comparativly priced etc(in fact the group buy price for an explorer inc P&P is £1 cheeper than a kelly scout with out postage, but thats neither here nor there).

What was said above about spillage with thewhistle in place I'm not that bothered about a cork tbh.

Kelly Kettle Scout Full Spec
http://www.kellykettle.com/Kelly-Kettle-Kits/Aluminium-Scout-Kelly-Kettle®-Complete-Kit.html said:
Product Dimensions:
Kettle Height ....... 28cm / 11inches (packed)
Kettle Diameter....18.5cm / 7.3 inches (widest point at Rim of fire Base)
Kettle Capacity.....39 (UK) ozs / 1.1ltr
Pot Capacity.........30oz (UK) / 0.85ltr
Kit Weight............2.64lb / 1.20kg
Fire Base & Drawstring carrying bag are included as standard with each kettle
Ghilly Kelte Explorer Full Spec
http://www.freewebstore.org/GhillieKettleCompany/The_Explorer_with_full_kit_included/p399486_1335567.aspx said:
The Explorer with full kit included Summary
This Kettle boils approximately 3.5 Mugs of water in minutes and its our middle range Kettle.

Lightweight 0.8kg made of Aluminium .
Holds up to 1.0ltrs
Height: 28cm / 11inchs
Width: 18.5cm / 7.3inchs (at its widest point)

(Edit, it would be nice if the Ghilly kettle guys put the weights for the full kit on the website next time you speak to them)

Last edited:

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Sorry, I didnt put myself across well.

What are the differences in the actual product, Both look nearly identical in the photos on the respective web sites, Similar Spec list, comparativly priced etc(in fact the group buy price for an explorer inc P&P is £1 cheeper than a kelly scout with out postage, but thats neither here nor there).

What was said above about spillage with thewhistle in place I'm not that bothered about a cork tbh.

Kelly Kettle Scout Full Spec
Product Dimensions:
Kettle Height ....... 28cm / 11inches (packed)
Kettle Diameter....18.5cm / 7.3 inches (widest point at Rim of fire Base)
Kettle Capacity.....39 (UK) ozs / 1.1ltr
Pot Capacity.........30oz (UK) / 0.85ltr
Kit Weight............2.64lb / 1.20kg
Fire Base & Drawstring carrying bag are included as standard with each kettle

Ghilly Kelte Explorer Full Spec
The Explorer with full kit included Summary
This Kettle boils approximately 3.5 Mugs of water in minutes and its our middle range Kettle.

Lightweight 0.8kg made of Aluminium .
Holds up to 1.0ltrs
Height: 28cm / 11inchs
Width: 18.5cm / 7.3inchs (at its widest point)

(Edit, it would be nice if the Ghilly kettle guys put the weights for the full kit on the website next time you speak to them)

Well there is very little difference because they are both British made by the same British company (the aluminium one that is!! which has been said on BCUK before). But I don't want to go to much into detail as I know both companys will be watching this thread.

Basiclly they are nearly the same, they do the same job and I have compared my Ghillie with with a Kelly before and they both look good work well and both are loved and well used by the folk who buy them !
It's just one has a to cork to stop water pouring out the spout/nossle and the other put a aluminium cap on it that can also stop water pouring out and be used as a whistle when the kettle is in use.

And yes Ghillie has already read your extra bit about putting the weights for the full kit !

And Ghillies also come with a Drawstring carrying bag aswell just like the Kelly ones

Last edited:

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
looks like im in got some birthday money coming i just need to make my mind up what model to go for so ill do some final mulling over their website

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
hmm ok sandbag i need a price for the maverick (anadised) with cookset (anadised) but not the complete one basically i dont want the top pan support or the base support wire (if that makes sense) also i would like a cork thrown in but just loose so i can use the whistle. if you can get me a price for that ill see how quick i can arrange the funds...

ta laaaaaaa

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
hmm ok sandbag i need a price for the maverick (anadised) with cookset (anadised) but not the complete one basically i dont want the top pan support or the base support wire (if that makes sense) also i would like a cork thrown in but just loose so i can use the whistle. if you can get me a price for that ill see how quick i can arrange the funds...

ta laaaaaaa

Sure not a problem I'll have it all sorted by Monday.
Can you do Me a favour and paste this in the group buy forum

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
As the Question was asked..... I asked Steve from Ghillie kettles about corks and he will do corks for their kettles on this GB for 50p

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
on another note has anyone ever used a few briquettes in the base for cooking on or are they too hot for the fire pan?

You might be onto something there. Briquettes need a bit more draught to burn than wood, and my only real problem with the Ghillie is that it can get a bit carried away and burn very fiercely. Then the boil can be so vigorous that it shoots out boiling water and steam. Some of the water invariably ends up in the fire tray. I tried all sorts of 'burn down from the top' ideas but they all failed. Most often I prevent the fire from getting too exciting by blocking the air intake with the end of a branch or something like that. I've thought of making a damper plate or something to control the burn, but it's just more stuff to carry about and the end of a branch works pretty well.

I think with briquettes or something like that you might be able to control the fire better, and it might also go for a lot longer so you could keep some water simmering. Just using twigs is OK for boiling up some water, but it's not so easy to keep it simmering for when you want your second cuppa.

I don't think that you'd have any problem with excessive heat. The Ghillie's fire tray is only aluminium, that's true, but it's quite thick so it dissipates heat quite well. I've had some pretty fierce fires in mine and it's never shown any sign of heat stress.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
Come on peops come the apocalypse if you haven't got a hobo, swiss volcano or Ghillie type kettle where will you get your stove fuel from :D

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
I've just been trying The Anodised Adventurer out. Just got to see how it cleans now (always the worst part). My wife say it looks nicer than my old Ghillie. I'll have to do some pics and a write up over the weekend

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE