Im carving a green man

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
I got a load of Flex cut carving tools for my 18 birthday and this is what ive been doing with them. They are quality tools!! I seem to be doing ok being as this is my first ever go at this kind of wood carving. Thought i'd share these pics with you and and there will be more to come as it progresses.

Its taken me a few days to get this far. Im thankfull that i am a patient person and im really enjoying working with wood in this way!!

greenman1.jpg

greenman2.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Jon thats startlingly good - I'm deeply impressed.

I do hope you will be taking comissions for work or selling your pieces?

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
What makes you think you couldn't Jon? Easy enough to find out - offer some for sale and see what people will pay for them. These days with the web, its more and more easy to sell your own work directly without need for galleries and so on. I'd buy a green man off you for sure if it ends up as good as it has started

Red

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Jon I have seen profesional carvers who would be very happy with that work. It is stunningly good for a first attempt. You clearly have a great eye which is what counts most. No question if you fancy it you could do that for a living...may not get rich but i suspect you would be happy. Ash is not the easiest wood to start on which makes your work all the more impresive, I have some big lumps of lime you are welcome to if you can get up to derbyshire or arrange for someone to pick them up. Its by far the easiest wood to carve and fantastic for practicing on.
PS I personally love the coarse but clean cuts of the tools, it shows how well you are cutting I hope you are planing to leave them rather than going back and smothing it out at all.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
wow! it would be a dream come true to do this as a living. You're right iwouldnt be rich but i sure would be happy! I love working with wood over anything else.

Robin Wood! Thats a fantastic offer! Something i shall consider! Thankyou!

I havnt had any lessons at wood carving... I guess my enthuseasm and bushcraft has given me a head start.:)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
you have a trading name ( green man carvings ) you have a skill -- you could between now and the spring produce some examples of your work and get a portfolio going research others that do the same as a buisiness maybe you could be comissioned some work search all possible avenues companies that do restoration type works on listed building s for instance or possibly antique furniture restoration this type of work requires fine joinery and carving skills I am shaw others on here can also offer you addvice of where to start GO FOR IT and good luck

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Hi Jon - beautiful work!
I am quite jealous. My only efforts at carving were lino cuts at school and I have to say,
I was notably crap at it to be honest. I had a load of help with a recent spoon at
Woodsmoke and it was a lot better than I was expecting, but not quite in your league!

I love painting on glass (glass painting) but it's not very bushcrafty! Your stuff (everything
I've ever seen you post pictures of) is utterly fab and I agree with everyone that you are
showing a sickening amount of promise for a very happy career in that sort of thing :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE