I'm after a pot..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Hey all,
I've got a gas stove like this one:

But I need a pot really... I've been using a mess tin, but it's not ideal really, especially without a lid etc..

The alternative is to splash out in a jetboil, but I'd rather save the pennies if I can, especially as I'm part way with the canisters and the burner...

Any suggestions would be great :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
What are you cooking? If it’s water, then titanium is great, other than that I’d go the cheaper stainless steel or aluminium or you’ll be burning beans in a centrally hot spot. If it’s frying, then forget titanium and look at a Primus Litech Trek kettle.

Is it for lightweight or small packability? Are you looking at nesting the stove and gas can in the pot for carrying?

If all you’re after is a lidded pot, then there a a lot of options in titanium or stainless steel. Look at Lixada, Toaks, Zebra.

I have a few setups, a SVEA 123 nested pot, a Primus Litech nested with a gas can and tiny lightweight stove, and some alternatives, I can do some pics tomorrow if it’s any help. It’s all in a cupboard in the bedroom, and there‘s a sleeping dragon with the CoV-19 lurgy in there that I’m not disturbing. :evil2:

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
If you are ok with £30 Sea to summit Alpha pot in 1.2l. Anodised alu so no scorching food, wide so better heat absorption and easier to stir/eat out of, lightweight. Best I have ever used. They make other sizes but I found 1.2l best for 1.5 persons.

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Pathfinder Bushpot 64 oz / 1800 ml.

If you run out of gas you can still cook under tripod over wood fire.

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
One of those UK YT folks did a test between a chinee burner and a pot with the heat exchanger on the bottom vs a jetboil at about twice the cost and there wasn't anything in it. I got given a jetboil as a present otherwise I'd have gone that cheap route. I'll search for which burner and pot if you like. Maybe anything with a heat exchanger underneath would broadly be as efficient?

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Most cookware comes nowadays from China anyway.

How do you clean such a heat exchanger in the woods?

Reactions: dnarcher

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Any suggestions would be great :)

I have the MSR equivalent of that burner and I find it much too fierce in the centre :( - in fact, it's as fierce as the burner on the Jetboil (cheap version, £20 and fantastic).

I've been experimenting with flame diffusers for the stove - still not found the ideal shape so still working on it.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Thanks for all the replies!! So varied (as is tradition on bushcraft forum haha!).
Basically I was looking at what I could do to condense my kit last night...and ideally I'd like a pot I could fit a gas canister inside.

In terms of what do I cook, bit of a mixed bag really, if I'm doing some coastal stuff I'll take my 120L bag, make a fire on the beach and cook on a hotplate, take my whistling kettle and just enjoy everything in its bulky glory... but for dartmoor with no fires I'd probably look to utilise boil in bag stuff (plan on getting some foil bags online and just making up some meals ahead of time). Pretty much most things I'd make will revolve around heating water and that's where a lidless mess tin sort of falls short. Will look into a lid anyway though as they're still handy!

Reactions: Dark Horse Dave

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Here are my two nested options. A Lixada 750ml with small gas can and BRS-3000T Ti stove. I’m pretty sure your Vango isn’t going to fit inside.

Second is a Primus Litech Trek kettle. Good proper cooking pot, don’t be fooled by the size of the pan, it’ll just about fit an egg.

Attachments

• 76A7F685-060D-4185-8C86-59D4708FB4FF.jpeg
    76A7F685-060D-4185-8C86-59D4708FB4FF.jpeg
    207.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 32DC3959-52FB-4304-A6A6-DAFCB79E62AD.jpeg
    32DC3959-52FB-4304-A6A6-DAFCB79E62AD.jpeg
    314.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 52B52AD3-0901-4DA6-B229-A626ADFA571C.jpeg
    52B52AD3-0901-4DA6-B229-A626ADFA571C.jpeg
    201.6 KB · Views: 21
  • C81E994B-4300-41A5-808C-007446FEBE65.jpeg
    C81E994B-4300-41A5-808C-007446FEBE65.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 9BA6D24A-E49A-4959-A4FD-8EE280D670B1.jpeg
    9BA6D24A-E49A-4959-A4FD-8EE280D670B1.jpeg
    308.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 969CF8BB-66E8-4E0B-B540-11290564BA48.jpeg
    969CF8BB-66E8-4E0B-B540-11290564BA48.jpeg
    328.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 3A0D2D8E-166B-4AFB-8B72-0E8BC1F3DD9F.jpeg
    3A0D2D8E-166B-4AFB-8B72-0E8BC1F3DD9F.jpeg
    335.5 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Here are my two nested options. A Lixada 750ml with small gas can and BRS-3000T Ti stove. I’m pretty sure your Vango isn’t going to fit inside.

Second is a Primus Litech Trek kettle. Good proper cooking pot, don’t be fooled by the size of the pan, it’ll just about fit an egg.
Thanks for the pics!
Not too worried about the stove itself fitting in, I've got a little orange plastic box it came with that I keep it in as I also chuck a couple disposable lighters in there and keep them all together. But the gas pot would be nice to have fit in, then I can throw that all in one of the rocket pouches and I'll be pretty sorted.

Think one issue I'm having with a mess tin is that it's a bit of an odd shape compared to everything else..I end up trying to stuff all sorts of random things into it to try and utilise the space it takes up, it's fine with packet cous cous and some oats and that sort of stuff I guess, but yeh, looking for options.

Managed to pack all I need inc my medium army sleeping bag into a karrimor sabre 45, one side is my tent, the other is an empty rocket pouch which I'm planning for food/cooking/water... then one of these days I'll get out camping again!

Reactions: Minotaur

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
On Youtube Hidden Valley Bushcraft talks about the Stainless steel coffee canister which is a good way to test what works for you.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Sounds good. Always. But isn't.

You perhaps have to figure out which Socks are the best for you. Because skin can be different.

Otherwise there usually is the optimal construction for this special purpose.
If you can tell us what you want to do we can tell you which is the optimal item for that purpose.

The advice to buy all and everything ten times and in all variations and to try out what works for you is the advice of a seller, not of a informed friend.
And a coffee container is made to contain coffee. At home. It's no bushcraft pot, although you can cook in it of course.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
This Lixada 750 ml pot exists also in a only a bit heavier but a bit cheaper stainless steel version. The Bushcraft Store in London sells the same or a very similar stainless steel mug under the own brand.

I think that the titanium version is the better choice if you want to use it mostly as a coffee or tea mug. But already if you want to make a sauce seperately the steel version is the better choice.

And if you look at the pots as camping cookware and dishes both options and the both sizes of the Pathfinder Bush Pots are currently the best constructions that are available factory new.

Only if you consider storing small amounts of food in a cooking container the Austrian army mess kit, which is more or less exactly one variation of the Wehrmacht mess kits, is worth a thought.
Because this pattern is absolutely mouse, rat and if attached with a chaine surely even fox proof.

But you can hang your food also in a dry bag under a higher branch of course, if there are trees, what's rather usual in our case. You throw a cord over a branch, attach it to the bag, lift it up and attach the other end to a lower branch or the trunk and your food is pretty save as well.
Not absolutely, trained mice in often used fix shelters and cottages can climb down. But a usual forest mouse usually doesn't know the trick.
Rats are theoretically able to develop enough technical understanding to cut the cord. But also this you don't have to expect in the woods.

Last edited:

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Yes the titanium is thin and certainly easy to burn stuff. But for straightforward boil in the bag or rehydrated meals it does the trick. I do actually have a lixada stainless steel one, but it made my twinnings English breakfast tea taste odd so I stopped using it.
I realise that nice65 already recommended and posted photos of the same lixada pot in an earlier post, I somehow missed this.

Reactions: Erbswurst

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Slightly OT but on a tangent:

Heat conductivity of Ti and SS are about the same, not very good actually. Al is way higher and Cu is in the stratosphere just below silver and slightly above gold.

So the bad name for Ti probably is because of the price, pots are made very thin; SS pot of equal thickness would not be much different. Al would be better in conducting the heat and avoiding hot spots to burn food. The down side of Al in this respect is that often the oxide layer protecting the surface is fairly porous and for that reason sticks to food and is sometimes difficult to clean. Anodizing and closing the pores with certain treatments probably would help, very few of those around.

Again the reason for Cu bottomed SS kettles for everyday cooking is very apparent.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
It's no fault to post the best camping pots in the world as often as possible.

It saves the money of beginners who otherwise would buy pots without bails and also leads the makers of such stuff to efforts in the right direction.

There is for example no 1 litre steel pot on the market in that construction that would fit a larger gas cartridge perfectly.
That would surely sell like sliced bread.
Especially because the small Mors Pot died out. Nobody discovered the market niche yet. And we are the expert forum, the guys who are able to demand.

So let's do that!

Last edited:
Reactions: DocG

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@ TLM
I guess, would they polish the titanium pots inside to a mirror finish the food also wouldn't tend to stick so much.
But that's expensive of course

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE