I'm a fire starter, twisted fire starter...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
It's no secret I've had varied success with the bow drill fire lighting method. I have had some good results with prepared sets, but lots of trouble with strings. Then, at one of the Sussex group meets, we went for a set foraged on the day.

Well that didn't quite work out either. So on to another meet and this time, still using the hearth from the foraged and a home foraged hazel drill, I got an ember, which sadly I failed to blow to flame.

Now forward fast to the bank holiday. I've worked out what tension I need on the string. The hearth is proven, but not seasoned yet and I'd cut a new drill from a piece of green ash at home.

0c0be0383334b3531d2ef0a9483557b4_zps77fa6c1c.jpg

Now, time to get bowing. In the past this has involved a lot of exhausting bowing, often resulting in the ember being extinguished by sweat. But today was a break through day. In next to no time I had smoke a plenty. I thought this can't be true, but yes, I had an ember. I was so not expecting that, that I didn't even have my camera ready. After a short sprint round the house I found it and got this

9653997b428ad124e78bd1466b35c0a4_zpse8192708.jpg

sadly I was even less prepared and didn't have any tinder. After another sprint round, I found something, but sadly no flame. No problem, I'll get another in a couple of minutes I thought. Well I never expected that to be an over estimate! A quick retention on the string (I am learning), and a few good strokes, another ember. Tinder bundle ready, a little bit of blowing and I had this.

14f4207ff6b35adb99722d7dc61d6c8a_zps00307e5c.jpg

oh, and a very big grin on my face.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i so would have nailed this at the last meet if i hadnt been recovering from the night befor! must have a go again soon:) well done jack

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Yep, got to keep it coming now. Still want to do a complete forage set on the day, but the confidence is coming. Still getting a bit of string wear, but I think that's an angle issue and if I put the drill in the other way round, I should then be reducing the friction on the cord, if that makes any sense at all. I.e. the string on the hand side of the bow is on the bottom not the top, so the angle I bow at opens it up rather than binding them together. Then again, if I was doing it properly in the first place the bow would be horizontal. My physics might not be correct here either, it's just a hypothesis at the moment.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Yep, got to keep it coming now. Still want to do a complete forage set on the day, but the confidence is coming. Still getting a bit of string wear, but I think that's an angle issue and if I put the drill in the other way round, I should then be reducing the friction on the cord, if that makes any sense at all. I.e. the string on the hand side of the bow is on the bottom not the top, so the angle I bow at opens it up rather than binding them together. Then again, if I was doing it properly in the first place the bow would be horizontal. My physics might not be correct here either, it's just a hypothesis at the moment.

Well done!

If you are right handed then the drill should be strung as you described. That then stops the cord from creeping up the drill and also means that you can bow horiztontally.

Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
Glad to see im not the only one having trouble with this, after lots of blister aching muscles
types of wood right, everything set up, ive got to the giving up stage too much frustration :-/

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
Great job, well done.
Dump of the stig, keep trying. Remember, every time you try this and it doesn't work, you have still had an experience. Once you get it it will be based on a deep understanding of the factors involved - you will know what does and doesn't work. Far better that way than to get it almost immediately and then be unable to repeat it. Read all you can about the subject, watch videos on the forum, whatever inspires you, then keep going. It is the best thing in the world once it comes together, as jackcbr will no doubt agree.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
these are good vids (link to part 2 is at the end of part one)

[video=youtube;sNcYyUn38qY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNcYyUn38qY[/video]

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
I must admit, you've got to know when it's going wrong and think why. I've adapted the methods shown me by people far more experienced than I, but these adaptations work for my physical abnormalities. I have a longer drill so I don't have to lean as far forward, this has stopped my flabby belly getting in the way and allowing my asthmatic lungs more room to work. For me, as long as the hearth is slightly wider than the drill, then thats wide enough. Keep an eye out for the drill end polishing, use a bit of failed ember dust in the hearth to help get things going. Start slow, with light(ish) pressure and build up. Also just give different woods a go. I'm rubbish at identifying wood, so looking for specific things is a waste of time for me.

But I'm no expert, just an enthusiast that got lucky. Which makes me think, I should have another go tonight.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE