Illegal tipping by criminal gangs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
I read this thread today:

Absolutely flabbergasted at the scale of the operation. I had no idea that criminal gangs were operating at such scale when it comes to illegal dumping of waste. Apparently months and months of trucks without registration plates coming and going, with the local authorities aware.

Heartbreaking to see such damage to the environment.

Jonno70

Dec 23, 2023
Cumbria
Where I work we had someone dump asbestos sheets at the back of a building, all caught on CCTV. Reported it to the council had a few phone calls and made and signed a statement and submitted the footage. Nothing happend no follow up call or update seems they can do as they please the scumbags seem to have the upper hand.

Reactions: CLEM

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Did you hear about the farmer who tracked down the guy who dumped a truckload of tyres on his land? He found out the scumbags address and when the guy was out he returned all the tyres. Filled his garden up with it. I think the scumbag had to pay someone to legally dispose of it under the scrutiny of the wider public, local press and officials forced to do their job.

I think it made national news certainly went viral. That's not a common situation but a very positive outcome.

pieinthesky

Forager
Jun 29, 2014
Northants
Did you hear about the farmer who tracked down the guy who dumped a truckload of tyres on his land? He found out the scumbags address and when the guy was out he returned all the tyres. Filled his garden up with it. I think the scumbag had to pay someone to legally dispose of it under the scrutiny of the wider public, local press and officials forced to do their job.

I think it made national news certainly went viral. That's not a common situation but a very positive outcome.
I am amazed they didn't prosecute the farmer - sort of thing they would do in this country - Like the guy who picked up all the litter in his street, put the bag out for the bin men and was fined for putting out non household waste!!

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
I think as it made a lot of media attention they didn’t think it would be wise to prosecute. I think it would have to have been a private civil case, and the guy was caught on cctv.

GreyCat

Nov 1, 2023
South Wales, UK
It's becoming more of an issue. Probably because council wants to save money and so stops free bulky waste collection. And guess what, folks who don't want to pay get a dodgy cheap/free "collector" in to take it away, then it gets fly-tipped.

The other part of that is recycling centres that won't allow you in with a van, or to walk in. So a person without a car cannot recycle bulky waste for free and must pay to have bulky waste taken away.

That said, my solution to dealing with people who fly-tip (particularly those who get paid to remove waste then fly-tip it) is not something I can repeat on here.

GC

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE