If you could only take one of your items you already own?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
I often think about this whilst staring into the glowing embers.

I love all my different items and using them, but if there was only one thing which I could take into the wilderness, it'd be my Ka-Bar cutlass machete.
I'll tend to use that in place of my axe and knife as it's just so damn good at doing everything from chopping down trees to making feather sticks, to being a draw knife.

How about you guys, what's your's from the gear you already own?

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Harder than I thought to decide, but I'm going hammock.

I can't hunt, forage, make fire or shelter. Really can't do anything without my gear so I'm curling up in the hammock and having a nap.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Harder than I thought to decide, but I'm going hammock.

I can't hunt, forage, make fire or shelter. Really can't do anything without my gear so I'm curling up in the hammock and having a nap.

It may seem impractical, but I like the way you think!

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
Well OP has put this in the edged tools department so if I lost my pocket knife, my belt knife, and only could have one knife then it would be my Skrama.

Once man had made fire his next issue was a Pot. He made up clay pots and fired them, but seeing the archaeology he sure went through them fast. So a good steel pot. Next up a thick wool blanket as skins are OK but nothing beats a thick wool blanket for pure utility. A lighter, firesteel, flint and steel, sure would be useful as carrying a fire from sticks and effort is a chore.

I'm attracted to the Kar Bar combat/utility style knife having carried one as a Rifleman in a Chris Reeve Project II guise. It didn't get much use over my pocket knife or multitool. However, my modern take would be the Survive Knives GSO 7/7 for its package size, design and build. This scale and style isn't very good at anything much, but can do nearly everything at a push.
The "one tool to do it all" is a pretty useless concept. Fun but not much use. Take a tool box or a multitool if you want to get anything done. Going by foot was for those who couldn't afford a donkey. mule, bottom, horse, ox cart, or slave. Its a modern thing this: "I'm so self efficient that I can go it alone"; and thats not even true as its backed up by a whole society providing the stuff to believe that anyone is "doing it alone".

Hammock and cold beer survival as done by Ray Meers has its attraction. Adventure sports and hotel by Bear. Don't forget to pack the film crew.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My Crusader mug - I can make fire, make knives, forage etc but making mugs is hard.... and I will need a brew or two...

Brandon-C

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2017
Highlands
Well for only one tool that I own it would have to be my TBS Boar, I think it would be more versatile than an axe but HB classic hunting would be my next choice.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
Pathfinder mid size pot for me but a large fixed blade knife like my Busse battle mistress or Falky A1 pro come a close second followed by a LMF ferrorod.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
When? Where? What scenario?

For a night or ten right now (summer in the middle of Sweden) I would pick a durable sleeping bag or even a thick wool blanket (Jerven thermo is also a strong candidate). OTOH a cooking pot would allow me to purify water, so it would depend on the water sources I would expect to encounter (rather somewhat colder nights but do cascade diarrhea: mot, but not all water in Sweden is perfectly drinkable).

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
Credit card hah!
It's funny I told my wife I was just going for a bit of a forest wander this evening, then I came through the door with a shopping bag full of stuff. She thought I'd had a very bountiful forest outing until I started unpacking. I nipped into the supermarket on the way back. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE