If you could only have one..

Grimnir

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
Northants
So, if you could only have one book on bushcraft, what would it be? Which do you think would offer you the most information, particularly for UK-type countryside?

I'm very limited on funds (and bookshelf space :p ) so I really want to get something to provide a good grounding of techniques to try and advice to follow. Not as good as a decent course but without transport they are hard to get to also

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
only one book for the uk environment.......

well Ray's 'The survival handbook' is one of the best Britain specific books, unfortunate it is thin on the ground for pictures to assist with the text, it is also out of print and although not rare copies are now extremely expensive.

I would recommend Mors Kochanskis 'Bushcraft' it is specific to Canada rather than the UK but most of it crosses over, it is also the most comprehensive book on the foundation skills of Bushcraft with detailed illustrations throughout

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Totally agree with Stuart - Mors Ks book is the best that I have read for nice straightforward explanations, line drawings and text. Hardly any "glossy photos" to pad it out. It actually reminds me of a grown up version of the old "scout handbook" from the 60s (which I still have and it still has a lot to teach - if you see an old one in a second hand book stall - have a look - everything from basic navigation to billy cranes in there)

Red

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
In case you didnt know the downloads page on this site has shed loads of excellent 'how to' information. useful if your abit skint at the moment.

Happy reading

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Mr Kochanski for me too. I read a review about the book a while ago, I think it was on Amazon, which said it was a waste of time. 'Spent 20+ pages talking about how to use a knife' said the reviewer. Is that all I cry.

Grimnir

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
Northants
Well, as it's my birthday I treated myself...

To a long wait :lmao: I ordered the Mors Kochanski Bushcraft book from my local bookshop but I have to wait almost 2 weeks for it to arrive! Probably could have got it quicker from Amazon but I like to support the local bookshops when I can :)

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Mors 's book it is my favorite with exception to a few plants and some focus on a slighly more snow enviroment than most of ours it nearly all crosses over.. other wise rays outdoor handbook (either the old or the current) would see you through nicely imo!

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i too have mors k's book and it is great i plan to read it again and instead of just reading it this time i will practice some of the things his book shows

leon

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
One thing that I've thought is sorely missing in Mors' Bushcraft and Ray's 'hanbooks' is some basic knot instruction. I know there are other places to find the info, but I've always thought that some basic effective knots, binds and lashings would make the texts a bit more complete.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE