if you care about the loss of traditional craft skills read this

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Thanks for all those, the facebook Harry is just for folks that use it, some use forums, some use email, some use facebook, some even to twitter whatever that is. You can sign up to the site in any way you wish and help spread the word. Less than 24 hours in and we are well over 100 signed up to the site and 120 on facebook. One of the most encouraging things is the messages from everyone saying how important iit is and how it should have been done ages ago. I think those who have signed up already are in at the start of something that will grow rapidly and really help make a difference.

M

merrylegs

I have just joined this group - loving these threads - Im from cornwall but am now in the midlands and am lacking people in my area who get excited as me about the heritage of these crafts! I just checked it out on facebook to -
Im a embroidery and fabric designer/ teacher of art/textiles, ive just started teaching myself how to weave baskets from things i find in the woods or garden!....any tips on whats good to try? I really want to develop this skill, so any help or advice would be great - or is it just trial and error?
Im going to attempt stitching into greenery to provide patch work shelters too - (I know that sounds more like art work but it could work!)
And want to get into leather work also to stitch up water carriers/knife protectors etc - anyone know of any good sites to research this or any good books?
(im so excited about this!)

x

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Thought it might be time to bump this thread with an update.

The HCA has come a long way and I know many BCUK members are also HCA members. Over the last 18 months HCA has become a charity, has held a major launch event at the Victoria and Albert Museum, as attracted significant patrons including Alex Langlands from BBCs Victorian Farm and Sir Mark Jones director of the V&A. We have initiated a 30 minute debate in the house of commons on the state pof traditional crafts and had meetings and corespondence with Jeremy Hunt Culture Secretary, Mick Elliot Director of Culture at DCMS, Simon Thurley director of English Heritage and many others.

We have worked with Ricochet who made the Mastercrafts program and given advice on crafts for the forthcoming Edwardian Farm program. All this is pushing traditional crafts up the agenda and hopefully we will eventually secure funding for proper training in traditional craft skills and get it back on the school curriculum too.

This thread is pretty old so some folk may not have heard of the Heritage Crafts Association, if you are interested in traditional crafts then have a look at the website and facebook page

IanGilroy_2

Jan 1, 2010
Purley Surrey
This is the best idea for the web that I've come across in ages.:35:

It aims at the heart of most of us are about, if you don't know how somthing is done. You will never understand why it was done, and the effort it took to do it.
The past is there to inform the preasent. Without understanding whats the B***** point.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE