IDing a tree by ear alone

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Roger Deakin in his book Wildwood:A journey through trees mentions this ability to id trees by the sound of the wind moving through them. He was refering to experienced woodmen who had spent much of their lives working in the woods though, I think with time it could be done.

Dynamite Dan

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 19, 2007
BlackBurn, Lancashire
How about this one then, I have (and my mum of 63 has also) walked barefoot across hot coals with an (estimated) temperature of over 1000 degrees.
How the hell does that work...:rolleyes: :D

Because Coal is an extremely poor conductor of heat, you dont stand on them long enough to get burned.

A new question that is probably more relevant to the past week, is "do trees sound different when rained upon for a whole bloody week?" :D

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Blimey what have I started ;-)

The reason feet don't burn when walking across coals is, as far as I'm aware, the same
as why your hand doesn't burn when you put it in the oven, unless you touch the sides.
I am of course talking about domestic ovens here! I know what you lot are like with your
ad hoc ovens :D

I had to google "fire walking oven" but here's an example:
http://www.davidgregory.org/fire_walk.htm

Though I think it's perfectly possible to get burned if the coals haven't produced enough
ash or aren't raked or something like that - people do get burned. I expect there's
also a bit of truth to the idea that if people believe they're going to get hurt then they
might be a bit more timid when crossing and more likely to falter. I don't think it's
entirely nonsensical that there's a bit of psyching yourself up going on but it can be
pretty easily explained by natural means as above. Sounds like quite an experience
though!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE