Ident books - reccomended reading

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurence Dell

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Sevenoaks, Kent
I thought that I would start a thread to compile a list of the best books for identifying various groups of wildlife and plants, etc. Questions seem to crop up regularly on what is the best book for fungi or trees or whatever. If this could be pulled together into a single list and kept as a sticky it might reduce these repeat questions and be a useful bibliography for newbies.

The main groups would be:
  1. Trees
  2. Wildflowers
  3. Fungi
  4. Mammals
  5. Reptiles & Amphibians
  6. Birds
  7. Invertebrates - with subcategories such as Butterflies & Moths, Beetles, Spiders, etc.
  8. Fish
I will kick off with the best ident books for field use IMHO
Trees
Collins Field Guide - Trees of Britain & Northern Europe by Alan Mitchell
Wildflowers
The Wildflower Key (British Isles-NW Europe) by Francis Rose
Fungi
Mushrooms & other fungi of Great Britain & Europe by Roger Phillips has got to be the best ident book I know but it is too bulky for field use anybody got any ideas for this:dunno:
Invertebrates
Collins Pocket Guide Insects of Britain & Western Europe by Michael Chinery
Hamlyn Guide Butterflies of the British Isles by J.A.Thomas
Mammals
I am working on this one.:eek:
Birds
The Complete Book of British Birds by the RSPB (even more chunky than Roger Phillips, but a great book).
Fish I might need some help with this one :confused:

We could also include books particularly relevant to bushcraft such as tracks and signs, wild food and books that cover all the main groups as all round general field guides.

These can be divided into subgroups and should mainly cover books relevant to the UK.
The list can also contain links to the best sources for these publications
(Amazon is not the only site, not allways the cheapest and don't neccessarily have the more obscure books available):rant:

Shadow Walker

Oct 15, 2005
Oxford
An absolutely invaluable book is;
Edible & Medicinal Plants of Britain & Northern Europe.

Published by: Hamlyn
Written By: Edmund Launert
Illustrated by: Roger Gorringe & Ann Davies
ISBN: 0-600-56395-2

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Plants are my biggest interest and I would recommend.........
The complete new herbal...........Richard Mabey
The complete book of herbs.......Lesley Bremness
Collins new generation guide, wild flowers of britain and northern europe.........Alastair Fitter
Collins herbs and healing plants of britain and europe.........Dieter Podlech.

For eating
Wild food.........Rodger Phillips
Food for free....Richard Mabey

I have many others, but these are my usual look ups...........Jon

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
For Fungi, Trees and Wildflowers you can't go far wrong with the Collins guides.

Mushrooms and Toadstools (when did you last see a toad sitting on a 'shroom :dunno: ) Edmund Garnweidner

Trees of Britain and Europe. G. Aas & A. Riedmiller

Wild Flowers of B & E. W. Lippert & D. Podlech

The rest are pretty good too. And they have waterproof covers (well, mine do :nana: )

Laurence Dell

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Sevenoaks, Kent
Many great suggestions there already, many that I have and would have recomended myself.
The herbal books are great and I would suggest could go into a category along with wild food.
Here is the combined and updated list keep them coming and I will add them to one combined post.
:You_Rock_

I have put smilies next to the ones that I either have myself or can personally reccomend.

Trees
Collins Field Guide - Trees of Britain & Northern Europe by Alan Mitchell:)
Readers Digest Field Guide to the Trees & Shrubs of Britain:)
Cassell's Trees of Britain and Northern Europe David Moore and John White
Trees of Britain and Europe. G. Aas & A. Riedmiller

Wildflowers and Grasses
The Wildflower Key British Isles-NW Europe by Francis Rose:)
Readers Digest Field Guide to the Wildflowers of Britain:)
Grasses Sedges, Rushes & Ferns of Britain & Northern Europe (Collins Pocket Guide) by R.Fitter, A.Fitter & A.Farer:)
Wild Flowers of Britain & Europe W. Lippert & D. Podlech

Fungi
Mushrooms & other fungi of Great Britain & Europe by Roger Phillips:)
Mushrooms and Toadstools of Britain & Europe by Edmund Garnweidner:)

Invertebrates
Collins Pocket Guide Insects of Britain & Western Europe by Michael Chinery:)
Hamlyn Guide Butterflies of the British Isles by J.A.Thomas:)

Mammals
I am working on this one.:eek:

Birds
The Complete Book of British Birds by the RSPB :)
Readers Digest Field Guide to the Birds of Britain:)

Reptiles & Amphibians I don't know any specific books:dunno:

Fish I might need some help with this one :confused:
Photographic Guide to Sea and Shore Life of Britain and North-West Europe
Ray Gibson, Ben Hextall and Alex Rogers Oxford University Press
The hamlyn guide to freshwater fishes of britain and europe.......Peter S Maitland.

Combined Ident Books
Collins Complete British Wildlife by Paul Sterry :)
Kingfisher Concise Field Guide Animals & Plants of B & E....... Edited by Michael Chinery :)

Wild Food & Herbals
Wild food.........Rodger Phillips:)
Food for free....Richard Mabey:)
The complete new herbal...........Richard Mabey
The complete book of herbs.......Lesley Bremness
Collins new generation guide, wild flowers of britain and northern europe.........Alastair Fitter
Collins herbs and healing plants of britain and europe.........Dieter Podlech.

Hamlyn Edible & Medicinal Plants of Britain & Northern Europe.
Written By: Edmund Launert Illustrated by: Roger Gorringe & Ann Davies
ISBN: 0-600-56395-2

Food from the Wild - Ian Burrows

Tracking
Animal Tracks and Signs by Preben Bang & Preben Dahlstrom

Links to suppliers
www.nhbs.com - Natural History Bookshop
www.badgerland.co.uk
www.amazon.co.uk

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I also have a good book on fish identification ( freshwater).
The hamlyn guide to freshwater fishes of britain and europe.......Peter S Maitland.
Did you know that the minnow is in the same family as the carp...........Jon

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
You have got me looking at all my old books...............The wildwood by Gareth Lovett Jones and Richard Mabey is a good book about 15 ancient woodlands in Britain and has some great photo's.............Jon

Laurence Dell

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Sevenoaks, Kent
clipper said:
Mushrooms: Collins gem
Trees: Collins gem

Thanks Clipper, nearly forgot the Collins Gem Guides :eek: Not comprehensive and no photos but cheap compact and handy. Great for :newbie: 's and children.

These are the ones I have on my bookshelf
:AR15firin
Wild Animals
Mushrooms
Wildflowers
Insects
Pond Life
Birds (Photo Guide)
Butterflies & Moths (Photo Guide)

I also have The Farm and the backpackers favourite the Collins Gem SAS Survival Guide (The cut down version of the classic SAS Survival Handbook).

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Laurence Dell said:
I also have The Farm and the backpackers favourite the Collins Gem SAS Survival Guide (The cut down version of the classic SAS Survival Handbook).

I to forgot some.
Bushcraft (Ray Mears)
Survival (Chris Ryan)
Big version and cut down of SAS survival (John Wiseman)
And about 6 others but cant remember the names and they are up stairs

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
I'd second the vote for Collins Complete British Wildlife: Photographic (ISBN: 0002200716). It's the only book I carry with me on a regular basis these days (I recently saw it for half price in a well know high street bookshop ;) ), unless I'm after something specific. Other wise I'll take a sample or digital photo and try and ID it when I get home :eek: .

One of the best books for the larger British animals I've found is Collins Complete British Animals (ISBN: 0007201370). It's brand new (first published April 2005) and is not to be confused with the Collins Field Guide or Photo Guide series.

This isn't really an ID book (it is small enough to carry in the field) but rather for those people looking for more information about larger British animals. Each animal (mammals, reptiles and amphibians) gets 2 pages (at least) that are packed with info on their distribution (maps), habitats, tracks and signs. However, this book goes further as it also covers observation tips, habits, behaviour, conservation status and natural history. This is something that I've found other books lack in detail i.e. it's all very good and well identifying an animal but behaviour wise why was it doing what it was doing when you saw it :) ! I've seen it in a number of high street book shops and is well worth having a look at before you buy ..... you'll see what I mean.

I'd also recommend the Readers Digest Field Guide series. Again it says field guide but it's a fairly heft tome so would probably be better suited for background reading on your return home as it too provides a lot more information than identification alone.

The two tracks and sign books I have are:-

Animal Tracks and Signs (Natural History Pocket Guides) (ISBN: 0198507968 ) - most of you probably already have this as it a fantastic book :D .

... but I also have Tracks and Signs of the Birds of Britain and Europe (Helm Identification Guides) (ISBN: 0713653825) which is also a very good book. I bought it to help me ID bird feathers that I found whilst out and about bit it also covers tracks, nests, pellets, droppings and skulls as well as feeding signs.

Laurence Dell

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Sevenoaks, Kent
Beer Monster said:
One of the best books for the larger British animals I've found is Collins Complete British Animals (ISBN: 0007201370).
That one Beer Monster has just gone on my xmas list :D I have been looking for a good ident book for mammals especialy one that also goes in depth with the behavioural ecology. How good is it's coverage of bats?

I have several of the guide cards that redflex mentioned. They are produced by the Field Studies Council and most cost about 2 or £3 each. One of the most useful of these folding ident cards for bushcrafters is the Mammal Tracks & Signs one, I was given mine on my Woodlore tracking course.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Dennis Mapletoft said:
i am trying to use this one for tracking
Hamlyn Guide to Animals, Tracks, Trails and signs
by R.W.BROWN/ M.J.LAWRENCE/J.POPE
ISBN 0-7537-0955-4
12.99p First published 1984 Last re-print 2004
Yours Den

Fantastic ........ you've just made me a very happy man Dennis :D ! I lost my copy of this book the last time I moved house! Just bought the replacement online ..... £3.99! :D

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
This is one of my stock books. M. Jordan. Guide to Wild Plants. Edible and poisonous species of the northern hemisphere. Published by Millington. 1976.

DSCF2394copy.jpg

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
Laurence Dell said:
Thanks Clipper, nearly forgot the Collins Gem Guides :eek: Not comprehensive and no photos but cheap compact and handy. Great for :newbie: 's and children.

Sorry to disgree Lawrence but I have two Collins gem books

Mushrooms ISBN 0 00 718307 0
Food For Free ISBN 0 00 718303 8

They both do have photo's in and are ideal for carrying when out and about as they fit into any pocket.

I would also suggest that they are useful guides to anybody not only newbies and children.

Mind you if I can't find them in on there normal shelf my 6 yr old daughter Amber will have them in her room.

Both available for £4.99 from WH Smiths - go and have a look :p

Laurence Dell

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Sevenoaks, Kent
Phil562 said:
Sorry to disgree Lawrence but I have two Collins gem books
They both do have photo's in and are ideal for carrying when out and about as they fit into any pocket.
I would also suggest that they are useful guides to anybody not only newbies and children.

Both available for £4.99 from WH Smiths - go and have a look
:BlueTeamE
I have about ten of these books and most of them don't have photos, but that is because I bought them years ago. The more recent editions are called Collins Gem Photo Guides, the two that I have with photos are the Birds one and Butterflies & Moths.

I wasn't suggesting that these books are not useful just not comprehensive enough for serious identification purposes :p . Although saying that this discussion has prompted me to look though them again for the 1st time in ages and realise that I may have undervalued them somewhat. On my next outing I may combine some of them with my other more comprehensive books as a way of covering a broad spectrum of groups.
The Pond Life book for example covers everything from aquatic invertebrates, amphibians & fish to waterside plants and trees :cool: . However it is important to recognise that they can't possibly cover every species you could find in that group or habitat, there just isn't enough room.:rolleyes:

Has the price of these books gone up again the last one I bought was only £3.99. The first one I got was Wild Animals (given to me as a present when I was 5yr old) cover price £1.95! :neo2:

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Right, I've been home to check my library and here are a couple of books to fill the Reptiles and Amphibians gap in your list:-

If you are looking for a pure ID book then you can't go wrong with:-

Reptiles and Amphibians of Britain and Europe (Collins Field Guide S.) by Nick Arnold & Denys Ovenden (ISBN: 0002199645)

However this is a bit of an overkill for UK species as only about 0.0001% of the book is applicable!

If you are looking for more in depth info then I think these books fit the bill:-

New Naturalist N. 87: Amphibians and Reptiles by Trevor Beebee & Richard Griffiths (ISBN: 0002200848)

Amazon said:
Eminent herpetologists Trevor Beebee and Richard Griffiths have brought together a wealth of new and fascinating information on the British amphibians and reptiles. An introductory chapter looks at the subject of biogeography and how factors such as geological history, latitude and climate affect ecology, life histories and behaviour. The authors then go on to discuss historical interest in amphibians and reptiles, from how they have featured in witchcraft and legends to modern perspectives. A third chapter covers basic biology of amphibians and reptiles, before each of the main groups -- newts, frogs and toads, lizards, snakes and chelonians -- are examined in further detail. A comprehensive account for each species covers behaviour, life history, reproduction and distribution, as well as ecology and conservation status, areas in which significant discoveries have been made in recent years. There is also a chapter with important new information on the burgeoning number of introduced species in Britain, such as bullfrogs, alpine newts and wall lizards. During the last half century, amphibians and reptiles have been among the most serious casualties of the changing way of life in the British countryside. In recognition of the threats they continue to face, Beebee and Griffiths rightly dedicate a final, substantial chapter to the increasingly important issue of conservation and discuss the measures needed to be taken to ensure the future survival of the British herpetofauna. With over 100 black and white line drawings and illustrations, and an 8-page colour section, this is an authoritative work on a subject of great natural history interest.

It's an absolutely fascinating read and give valuable tips on how to manage land to maximise it's appeal to reptiles and amphibians.

the second book:-

Snakes and Lizards (British Natural History) by Tom Langton & Denys Ovenden (ISBN 0905483774)

This one is fairly basic but packed with info including some very informative charts of behaviour (by month) i.e. hibernation, breeding etc. It doesn't have any glossy photos etc but does have some good hand drawn pictures.

I don't think either of the last 2 books are still in print but I think you can get them second hand off Amazon or Subbuteo Books (www.wildlifebooks.com)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE