Ideas for a Bushcraft Xmas decoration?

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas for a Bushcrafty type Xmas tree decoration?

Reason being parents at my Daughter school have been asked to make a tree decoration for the School tree.

I thought I might make something in keeping with the bushcraft theme but not sure what to make.

Cheers Richard

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
What about a wooden leaf with an animal track carved on one side and a fire and pot carved on the reverse. Both symbols that non bushy types would recognise and relate to bushcraft type content.

Mikkel

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2007
Denmark
Mr. Mears did a very nice decoration in his bushcraft survial episode 'four seasons'.
I had actually been thinking myself, of doing something simmilar.

cheapeats

Forager
Feb 20, 2008
New England
My sons and I have made 4 or 5 inch long birch bark canoes. One I made for my father had a carved paddle and was full of gifts Tiny wrapped packages and miniture snow shoes. I even painted Holly and berries on the bow. With my group of Cub scouts we cut a slice of birch birch branch about 2 inches in diameter and 1 inch thick and drew christmas images on the flat parts using glitter glue.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
331718687_1d749d8448.jpg

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Glad you posted that Red that reminds me I need to go and make something like that as I promised SWMBO I would and thats an ispiration.

xylaria

Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas for a Bushcrafty type Xmas tree decoration?

Reason being parents at my Daughter school have been asked to make a tree decoration for the School tree.

I thought I might make something in keeping with the bushcraft theme but not sure what to make.

Cheers Richard

The seed balls off a london plain tree sprayed gold with red ribbon on them make nice boubles. A withy bent in same direction in five places, the ends and joins then tied up with jute string makes a star. Even easier a withy bent 4/5s the way down then bent up, the end tied with jute string makes a crescent moon. Ivy sprayed silver instead of tinsil, or just go natural.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
The seed balls off a london plain tree sprayed gold with red ribbon on them make nice boubles. A withy bent in same direction in five places, the ends and joins then tied up with jute string makes a star. Even easier a withy bent 4/5s the way down then bent up, the end tied with jute string makes a crescent moon. Ivy sprayed silver instead of tinsil, or just go natural.

Like those.:)

We have done various over the years, I used to use the cores cut out of my wooden bowls (basically just a little round of wood) drill holes in it an insert small holly sprigs, simple but folk loved them and still use them years later.

Another that worked well was a star made from strips of riven wood, 6" long by 1/4" wide I cant remember if it was 5 or 6 pointed stars we made but I do remember that when the sticks were woven together they held without glue. I'll see if we can find one to photo.

Another goody is little christmas trees, first whittle a cone then shave tiny shavings as if making a feather stick until you have a Christmas tree These are mass produced in the town of Seifen in Germany.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
My sons and I have made 4 or 5 inch long birch bark canoes.
Reminds me of some of the ornaments Duluth Pack sell: http://duluthpack.com/products.aspx?category=Ornaments

I picked up the mini pack, canoe and moose a few years ago. Nice little pieces and it would be quite easy to make something similar yourself. The moose is rather cunningly folded from one piece of leather and looks great hanging from our tree. What we really need is a John Noakes / Ray Mears Christmas special :D

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Thanks to everyone who's come up with ideas.

I've been rooting round to see what wood I had and found a couple of large bit of the real Xmas tree we had last year nicely seasoned. I thought about carving a bell but with my lathe out of action:( It will have to be hand carved, failing that I like Robin's suggestion or a little Xmas tree. I'm running out of time as they want them in by Friday:eek:

Like those.:)
Another goody is little Christmas trees, first whittle a cone then shave tiny shavings as if making a feather stick until you have a Christmas tree These are mass produced in the town of Seifen in Germany.

Thanks Richard

I plan to take some small wooden decorations by taking flat pieces of wood and then using my router to cut out stars.

Alternatively, you could carve 'icicles' out of twigs, or collect some pine cones and dip them in clear varnish and then tie them up with a thin pretty ribbon.

Origami decorations are really simple too. Use squares of wrapping paper and make the basic diamond shape piece. Two pieces together will make a flat square decoration (or a coaster), three will make a four-faced pyramid, six pieces will make a cube, 18 pieces (I think) will make a big star.

Harmony

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2008
Spokane, Washington USA
These birch bark vases have been well received this Christmas.

Made of bark removed from dead trees.

Glass inserted in vase so it can be used for flowers in the spring.

Harmony

Birchcontainer.jpg

Birchcontainerclose.jpg

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Another that worked well was a star made from strips of riven wood, 6" long by 1/4" wide I cant remember if it was 5 or 6 pointed stars we made but I do remember that when the sticks were woven together they held without glue. I'll see if we can find one to photo.
We used to do the same with lolly sticks, back in the day;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE