ID this for me? Looks like a huge resehip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
I spotted this on my lunchtime walk, looks a bit like a huge rosehip - the fruits are 1-2 inches across.

large_hips.jpg

apologies for the poor pic - mobile phone...

K

Karr

It looks to be Rosa rugosa, used a lot for hedgeing.The hips are quite sweet but packed full of seeds.

Regards Sparrow.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
yep, i agree. My favorite rose, the smell of the flowers is turkish delight.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
How's this for weird? There are some of these near where I work. I had a dream last night and in the dream I looked at them and wondered what they are. I woke this morning determined to find out and was going to take a picture on the way home and post it tonight. Don't need to now.:confused:

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I made rosehip syrup with that type. I wondered what type of rose they were. I have notice a few types of rosehip including a black one of simerlar fat shape. Removing the seeds on R.rugosa is really difficult, the seed hairs are like fibre glass so I just make syrip with them as then I dont need to deseed.

Take eoungh rosehips to to 3/4 fill a large saucepan.
Cover whole hips with water.
Simmer until hips are squishy.
While wearing gloves squeeze through net bag, then repeat to ensure all seed hairs are removed.
Add about four handfuls of sugar for every pint of liquid.
Return to pot and simmer for ten minutes.
final product should keep for months and is nice on pancakes.

I dont measure when cooking so this is a rough guide.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE