ID help please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
This was growing in ancient woodland, damp near a stream.

Is it pea-ish? figwort, butterwort? Guesses. My books are not helping and I wish I took more photos.

20140503_170737_zps8zsfvq9e.jpg

Trencakey

Nomad
Dec 25, 2012
Cornwall
It's one of the Trefoils,not sure which one though.Sorry no actually I think it could be Vetch

Last edited:

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thanks all. It was a lovely little thing, really caught my eye amongst all the other spring greens.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Primroses, the wild ones, used to be used to make wine. Lesser celandines have tasty peanut sized potatoe-y roots.
Pignuts....I planted seeds in a pot and they've all come up :D

M

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Ah right, I have nibbled the odd flower from primrose. Only tried celandine once before and enjoyed it. Must think on to get them before they flower next year.
The pig-nuts were great and easy to retrieve for a change.

So peggles are primrose. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The elderly English lady who taught me to call them that said that the name was sometimes given to the cowslip too, but she knew the primroses as peggles and her Grandmother had taught her to make peggle wine with them. I think it's probably a regional thing, tbh. The plants can be both used alike.

atb,
M

Aug 27, 2012
UK
I found pignuts for the first time last week with my brother in law. We both found two huge ones! Very satisfying. On a side note any clues as the identity of this! Looks tasty and edible. Can't find it in the Francis rose wildflower key. However I'm only going off photos. It scrambles a little like strawberry and has smooth leaves in whorles.
e2ymazur.jpg
uda2yra9.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE