ICE details in IOS 8 Apple iPhone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
So not sure if any of you noticed this, but in iOS 8 on the lock screen, if you hit emergency there is a new button in there for emergency medical information, which you can provide via the new health app.

I remember discussing possible emergency medical information carry options with people on here before and thought this might be of some interest if you didn't already know about it.

To give you an idea of what it looks like:
bapy4e6e.jpg

azyra2ut.jpg

Taken from another forum, thought this may be of use to forum members. I think I've seen a few queries about ICE details before. Hope it helps!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It's part of the somewhat invasive Health app. You can input loads of information into it, including blood type etc. But my phone is locked with a 4 digit pin or fingerprint scan, so it's not really a lot of use to anyone but me.

I get a bit annoyed with Apple over apps that measure what I'm up to without me requesting it, a personal moan about the Health app which can't be deleted. And whether you've activated it or not, it still measures distance walked, steps, altitude etc. and can't be stopped.

The recent auto dumping of the new U2 album into my itunes account really hacked me off. Rant over 😀

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
I'm sure it'll catch on, Apple has such a huge following that in time it'll be checked I expect. I saw a recent feature of an idea to reuse their tax disc holder for ice details

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Taken from another forum, thought this may be of use to forum members. I think I've seen a few queries about ICE details before. Hope it helps!..."

Not a daft idea, I'm surprised it has taken so long for phone manufacturers to provide a 'ICE' button on the lock screen.

My phone is dumb, ICE is simply listed in the contacts.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
It's part of the somewhat invasive Health app. You can input loads of information into it, including blood type etc. But my phone is locked with a 4 digit pin or fingerprint scan, so it's not really a lot of use to anyone but me. 

I'm doing a 2 Day emergency aid in the outdoors course, day 1 today, and this came up. Apparently it will still let you in to your locked phone and just let someone see the ICE number only.

At the end of the day if I come across you lying on the ground unconscious and when doing my top to toe survey, and I find your mobile with details th it will help you on the short and long term. I have an android phone so must set it up with an ICE number, even though I don't have any particular conditions. Having my photo driving license in my wallet is for this exact reason, easy for the first responder or police to id me.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Now I can spot random phones in the pub, without any authentication, see what they are allergic to... and let fun begin.

Seriously, I understand a contact emergency number and maybe blood type and some other trivial information but stuff i'm allergic to? Really?

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I'm sure it'll catch on, Apple has such a huge following that in time it'll be checked I expect. I saw a recent feature of an idea to reuse their tax disc holder for ice details

Or Apple will keep up....my Sony Xperia Z2 has this on it as standard but doesn't have/need an app behind it...I think the Z3 is out now so this has been around for a while lol :)

Bloody good idea I think, mines been filled in for ages....the Sony one allows a few emergency contacts that can be called from there without the phone needing to be unlocked. I have my home number, my wife's mobile and my dad's home and mobile logged in there.

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
Now I can spot random phones in the pub, without any authentication, see what they are allergic to... and let fun begin.

Seriously, I understand a contact emergency number and maybe blood type and some other trivial information but stuff i'm allergic to? Really?

Blood group is pretty redundant in the civi world as they will test even if you tell them before giving any blood. Allergies on the other hand part of the secondary survey.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

The allergies are relevant but only up to a point. A medical responder probably couldn't care less if you're allergic to peanut butter. On the other hand it might be very valuable to know of any drug allergies before administering treatment.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
The allergies are relevant but only up to a point. A medical responder probably couldn't care less if you're allergic to peanut butter. On the other hand it might be very valuable to know of any drug allergies before administering treatment.

Ok so no bracelet or necklace like a medialert, but an ICE detail in the phone. Good idea.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Ok so no bracelet or necklace like a medialert, but an ICE detail in the phone. Good idea.

No. I (like you, if I read your post's inference correctly ) prefer the Medic-Alert instead. But I suspect the newer media will nudge it away soon enough though; just as the younger generation's nudging us away.

To be honest, I'd like to see the bracelets, necklaces, other jewelry and such replaced by a microchip such as pets wear. There's no reason emergency responders couldn't be equipped with a reader. Nothing to wear or lose or forget; just a non-visible chip with an ID number connected to your pertinent emergency info.

Last edited:

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
I saw something somewhere (that's helpful!), and it was trialling those QR codes for a scanner to read. There are numerous web apps that can turn info into one... Wether or not emergency services can scan the code and translate who knows. Maybe when a reliable method works, then tech will take over.
Just think, google glass and retinal scans and a wireless upload of a patients record may pop up in the not so distant future!

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...retinal scans and a wireless upload of a patients record may pop up in the not so distant future!.."

"...I'd like to see the bracelets, necklaces, other jewelry and such replaced by a microchip such as pets wear..."

I'd prefer a biometric I.D. card to be honest.

Maybe I'm just old but my pertinent medical information is written on the appropriate page of my passport and on a piece of paper kept with my driving licence counterpart. My GPs number is in there too should some emergency medical staff want a chat.

This system seems a little less invasive and less likely to be abused than some of the high tech options being suggested here.

:)

Last edited:

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
No. I (like you, if I read your post's inference correctly ) prefer the Medic-Alert instead. But I suspect the newer media will nudge it away soon enough though; just as the younger generation's nudging us away.

To be honest, I'd like to see the bracelets, necklaces, other jewelry and such replaced by a microchip such as pets wear. There's no reason emergency responders couldn't be equipped with a reader. Nothing to wear or lose or forget; just a non-visible chip with an ID number connected to your pertinent emergency info.

But a bracelet is the easiest thing for a passer by with no special equipment can read. Even if your not needing an ambulance or other emergency help, the ICE number could be called and that person can come and collect you.

Most kids -I work in high school - do not wear a watch but have phones. Just the way society has come.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Maybe I'm just old but my pertinent medical information is written on the appropriate page of my passport and on a piece of paper kept with my driving licence counterpart. My GPs number is in there too should some emergency medical staff want a chat.

This system seems a little less invasive and less likely to be abused than some of the high tech options being suggested here.

:)

Indeed - I'll be damned if someone is going to chip me or make me carry an ID card. Such things have never been necessary in this country, nor are they necessary now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE