Ice Bear Sharpening Kit

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Would you say it's worth the expense? I was looking at getting one, then saw the price, ~£64 for the 800 & 6000, nagura stone and holder

I can't make mind up if i should take the plunge or not. Even if i get a stone holder from Axminster and a dual-grade stone, that still comes in around £45.

Any advice?

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I got one, it's good, but it cost me a fortune to ship to here. I heard the double side one is good too. I like having a very course stone though, for when I have a 'ding' in the blade.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ive got the 1200/6000 combination with nagura. And then later I bought an 800 stone. If youre careful, and dont chip the blade, you wont need the 800 much, [hopefully]. Just a good strop on a piece of veg tan leather, glued to a block of flat wood should bring it back up after youve used it.
I use a rubber mat from the car footwell instead of a holder, or certain types of mouse pads, have a shiny topside, but a rubber underside. You can just peel the shiny top off and youve go a rubber mat there as well.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I think it depends on how often you intend to use them.

I'm a Chef by trade so reasoned (correctly) that I could use the stones for my work knives. I sharpened my chef knives once a month on the stones then used a steel hone as required at work. Comparing how much cutting I did with my chef knives to my Bushcraft knives it stands to reason that on the whole I would be sharpening the bush blades for no reason.

Don't get me wrong though the Ice Bear stones are very good kit and for me they have been worth the investment. However unless you are cutting everyday I'm not sure their worth the money.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE