Iain Banks, Scottish author of the 'Culture' novels, has months to live.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I can only second that sentiment, except that I'm now wondering if he will end up on our books at work for a time. I'll keep an eye open.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
I've eagerly watched for his new books for several decades and bought and enjoyed each one. Fifty nine is far too young to lose anyone but it is particularly sad to lose such a talent so early.

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
Terrible news. He seems to be taking it remarkably calmly from what i've read. Use of Weapons is one of my top 10 books.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Read pretty much everything he's written, an awesome talent, loved the original thought that went into his writing, beyond compare! Gutted that we'll only see one more from him before he leaves us. I heard he proposed to his partner by saying "will you do me the honour of being my widow" and is now on honeymoon, great response to probably the worst news you could get.

Cheers

Alan

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Very sad news, remember reading The Wasp Factory when it came out, and being a similar age to the main character Frank and a weird kid myself I really identified with the book. Have always prefered his writting as Iain Banks rather than his SF work as Iain M. Banks. Though I think some of his SF ideas are revolutionary.
Very sad though he seems to be taking it in his usual happy way. I hope his time left is painless and productive.

fredster

Forager
Oct 16, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
Very saddened to hear this today. I'm the opposite of Goatboy (above) in that I much prefer his SF stuff - is he the best SF writer today? Quite possibly. I've read nearly all of his non-SF stuff but feel he peaked early with The Wasp Factory and has never quite been able to recapture that breakthrough brilliance, except with his Culture novels of course, which started amazing and remain so. Sad news indeed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE