i would like to get a crook knife. help!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I have a few smaller whittling knives of various shapes and sizes and I wanted to give bowl/spoon making a go so I was going to get a crook knife. I probably sound a complete novice because I am but I just had a few questions.

Is Mora the only brand, or maybe the best and that is why I cant find any others?

Do you guys think the interchangable blade knives will be more dangerous than practical?

Out of the Mora 162, 163 and 164 which one is the best for a "general purpose" or "novice" knife?

Thank you in advance.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
definitely do not go for the mora double sided one.. it just a pain to use, but I have other moras and have no issues with them

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
I use the 163, and 164 which is the double edged one I think. I too was worried about it being double edged, but I love it. Very nice to use in fact, and being a different bevel from the other I use, makes flatter cuts, if that makes sense. Maybe I'm weird :eek:

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I have and use the Mora one for a right hander(can't remember the number it just felt right in my hand)
Double edged ones are an issue when working awkward grained wood that needs extra power from the thumb. I turn the blank in my hand and found a method that works for me using the handing of the knife.
The various knives by other makers are all really nice and well made and my next one will be from one of them, however, for a first knife and the learning curve on use and sharpening the Mora is probably the most economical choice.
Just my thoughts though.
Rob.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
I have used mora crook knives in the past, both single and double edged, and although they will do the job something from the likes of Ben Orford or Dave Budd are in a completely different league.
The best way I can describe it is using a cheap kitchen knife to cut tomatoes then trying an expensive one. Both will give you slices of tomato but one is infinitely easier, smoother and more pleasant to use that the other.

hamster

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mora crook knives are best avoided. They really are poor, in every respect.

That said, finding a crook knife that suits you, is no easy task or so I've found.

I've been lucky enough to try at least a dozen, good quality commercial ones over the last few years, most of them during a spoon carving weekend with Robin Wood, I organised when I was a trustee of the local woodland group.
[video=youtube;mAthW-2IjsI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAthW-2IjsI[/video]

Sadly,(perhaps partly due, to being left handed?:bluThinki) none of them, really suited me! I found that in fact, after having the chance to sample pretty much every tool of that type, commercially available at the time, I prefer my own, home made tools for carving spoons and bowls.

The two seen in the photo's above, were some of my first efforts and a bit crude, although the top one, is still one of my most frequently used carving tools.

Take a look a Robin's advice on spoon knives here:
robin-wood.carving-with-crook-knives

Good luck

Steve

Last edited:

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
i have carved spoons professionally for a few years and tried many different spoon knives,duncans (dorset woodland blades) is a very good knife but theres usually problems getting them,the one by Robin Wood is a very very good piece of kit and i would recomend it.

i have carved spoons professionally for a few years and tried many different spoon knives,duncans (dorset woodland blades) is a very good knife but theres usually problems getting them,the one by Robin Wood is a very very good piece of kit and i would recomend it.

Ive pretty much stopped making Crook and crooked blades tho i have a pile of blanks I dont have the time with other customer stuff as I really need to make a batch which is a lot of time to make it worth while

Robin wood has his own design which i did make for him initially He has now made them himself via sheffield in the numbers he needs they are a very good blade supurb Profile and sharp Geometry

TroubledTalent

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2014
The woods
There's no argument for why 'mora should be avoided'
It's an opinion if you believe they are poorly made, and one I've rarely come across. Mora make these things for people who use them daily. It's all well and good doing our best to support home grown business, but evolution, expanding horizons ect. You find better then use it, but if you claim Mora is poor in every respect, then your opinion has little value.

Delivery folks

/edit, my delivery looks terrible. >_<

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE