I was nearly there...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
:cry: I was nearly there! :shock: :roll: I tried fire by friction today indoors because it was raining outside. Smoke came but then the string broke and I have had 2 pauses now. :roll:

Give me some advice please you who have tried it. I've been going on for about an hour now and am pretty exhausted. I used charcloth to catch the ember. Shall i use another tinder? What? :roll:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I'll try with some other tinder tomorrow. I think charcloth needs a fairly high temperature to ignite. But I had smoke for around 1 minute, but the string broke. :roll:

The ambition is to do it before I turn 16. :biggthump

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Yep.... you should get a fine black powder collecting in the notch of your hearth... this forms the coal when it is hot enough.
Make sure there is good friction between your spindle and hearth... if it is smooth then rough it up a bit. You don't need to drill very fast as long as you are bearing down and are using long strokes on the bow.
You should get light whispy smoke at first.... then thicker heavier smoke.... when this happens you can either speed up the bowing or push down more on the block... or both... you will need to drill quite hard in this final phase but after about 20-50 stokes you should be smoking like mad..... now stop and see if smoke is still rising from the hearth.... if it is, you have a coal ....just fan it gently to life and transfer it to your tinder:)
On tip is to warm your set up first..... before trying to make the coal, just give the set 20-30 hard strokes to get everything warmed up....

Hope this is of some help :biggthump

Ed

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
To add to tomtom and Ed’s points. The Ember and the tinder bundle are separate things. You need to establish your ember and then after it’s all nice and glowing put that ember in the tinder bundle, then you need to introduce lots of oxygen to it which is usually by blowing and waving it about (waving it about helps to keep down the moisture in it)

For your ember place something under your hearth or board to allow the ember to pile up, as this gets hotter it will coagulate into a lump. This needs to be on something stiff so that you do not break the structure of the ember when you move it. Remember, there is no rush, you can take a rest in between creating your ember and putting it in the tinder bundle.

A few of pics for you.
This one shows you the hearth or board, the ember that has been collected on the thin bit of wood under the board (directly under the notch) the bow and the spindle. There is no hurry to get the ember into the tinder bundle. Sometimes it is best though to lift the ember, on whatever it has collected, above the ground as it can get damp.

5firelighting.jpg

The ember is now in the tinder bundle (which should be as dry as possible) and it is being blown to life. Remember that you transfer moisture to the tinder bundle from your breath so wave it in the air quite frequently to help keep it dry.

5tinder-bundle-med.jpg

This one shows body position, the arm locked against the leg for stability; excellent downward pressure can be attained this way, although not too hard! The foot is holding everything in place. The whole thing at this stage is getting the stability, correct pressure and your technique to come together so you can produce the ember, once you can do it you can start experimenting with other woods etc.
5position-for-friction-firel-med.jpg

Friction firelighting is one of the skills that are much easier to be shown how to master than try to pick up by yourself, but, with perseverance you will be able to do it. Just keep at it!

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
OK. I tried it right before i posted this. All i get is some dark brown wood dust. Is that the ember? :roll: I get quite a lot and it's really smoking a lot... :?:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
the dust you are looking for will be jet black like coal.. and you have an ember when it glows like an.. um.. ember..does it still smoke when you have stoped drilling? if it does give it a gentle blow (being carful not to blow the dust around the place) and if you see that orange glow then you have an ember.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
If you are just getting dust but no ember, probably you are not getting the temperature up high enough. Nice long strokes and final 20/30 strokes at full speed to get the temp up. If the going is too heavy check the top end of your spindle. Any extra friction there will make your life much harder. Reshape the top and give it another go. I don't know what your spindle looks like, but if you can't get it to work, you may try reducing the width of your spindle.

Keep at it and you will get it, but it is definately hard work the first few times.

Lennart

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Also I don't know if using a cup as the bit is the best idea, might not reduce friction enough?

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Young Bushman said:
Also I don't know if using a cup as the bit is the best idea, might not reduce friction enough?
No, the cup is fine. There's a good grip and it's not very big. :wink:
But I will take a break now and come back to the drill in a day or so. But change the hearth board to another wood. Perhaps to pine or sycamore.

B

brian6244

You do have a notch cut in the hearth board right? That is extremely important with almost all woods.

BTW: A 1oz shot glass is a nice replacement for a palm rock while youre learning. Just be careful not to break it and cut yourself.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
brian6244 said:
You do have a notch cut in the hearth board right? That is extremely important with almost all woods.

BTW: A 1oz shot glass is a nice replacement for a palm rock while youre learning. Just be careful not to break it and cut yourself.
Yes! I have a notch. :roll:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Yes, Gary it's a good list. I think my problem is the hearth board. I will make one in sycamore or pine. And I need to produce even more smoke than already and more heat by pressing down more. :shock: :wink:

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
ok Hazel is ok - have you tried the same wood for both the hearth and spindle - you will find this helps a lot.

If not try a harder wood spindle into a softer wood hearth - such as my favourite beech into alder.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
The bow:

How springy should it be?

How tight should the string be?

Obviously the string needs to be tight enough to grip the spindle but is it just tight enough to twist the spindle in or should it be bending the bow once the spindle is in?

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Bow shouldnt be springy and the string tight enough that when you put the spindle in it wants to soin out on its own.

Unfortunately bow drill is one of those visual things and you'd be hard pressed to get it working from a book or via this meduim

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE