I want to try leathworking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Purdy Bear

Jun 5, 2009
SE London
I want to move from working in cloth to working in leather. In cloth I can make tote bags, hand bags, satchels etc. Now I would like to try doing them in leather or suede. Iv ordered some books from the library and await their arrival. Do you have any tips for a complete novice?

leon-1

LePrevo are good people.

I don't normally use one, but you could look into getting a stitching pony after a while as it will make things easier.

Your fingers will get very sore when stitching, get yourself some zinc oxide tape for taping your fingers (1Inch wide is best).

Leathercraft tools can be expensive, try and get a list and look through e-bay for some at reasonable prices.

If you want good even results when dyeing don't use a dauber (they're a waste of money IMHO) get a few paint brushes they will give a far more even coverage and they'll last you longer.

You don't need to buy every tool under the sun to start with, go with the basics, an awl, some needles, an overstitch wheel, a stitch groover.

Learn about the types of leather and experiment with them.

That should keep you going for a little while.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Garment quality leather can be sewn like fabric on a domestic machine...strong needles are a must - there are specific leather sewing needles for domestic machines....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE