I want a better looking version of this homemade knife. Damascus would be nice ...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well, you could ask where you could find such a thing ? Lots of folks into the shinies and only too happy to recommend :D

cheers,
M

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
Thanks, everyone, here are my pictures. I was looking for something like the one I made, but with a more elegant "back" (i.e. the curve of the handle and back of the blade should be sort of like a continued curve).

I like my knife from a strictly practical point of view: It's thick, so can be batoned or in a pinch used as a small pry bar, the height if the blade is good because it allows the handle to sit higher, the angle of the blade is good, and I like the safe non-pointy end, which is still a pointy enough to use as a screw driver - even on glasses. However, it is ugly as hell, as you can see:

L1050785.jpg

L1050784.jpg

L1050782.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have the tools, nor the skills to make a nicer version. The one I have was made from a chopping knife, using an angle grinder, a little epoxy and a pocket knife was used to cut the handle (as you can see, it looks the part, lol).
I don't want something "fancy" as such, although a nicer blade shape and a symmetrical handle would be nice, just as the rounded top of the tip should have a smaller radius, as well as a smaller radius where the handles curves down to the edge. In fact, the edge should start a little further back because of that smaller radius.

Edit # umpteenth:
So, in short, if you could point me to someone who has the basic skills down, and perhaps are willing to make me one, that would be awesome. I don't think I'll be able to find me an already made knife like it, but if there is, that would of course be nice.
Oh, and it has to be in EU - I had a lot of hoohaa trying to import my Ohta friction folder.

Last edited:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
you could try looking at a traditional japanese knife, dick sell some good ones, some of which are damascus. i think if you looked around you'd be able to find something that you like.

just an idea

stuart

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
LOL, thanks.

You're welcome to use anything from it that you find useful. The closure was just a quick-and-dirty solution, but it works pretty well. I assume it works better with thick leather as I've used, rather than thinner quality. :)

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
[Off topic]
Ha ha, yup, unless one is inclined to go in that direction, misinterpretations can quickly come about.

I shave my head - these days mostly because I'm going bald, but earlier because I liked having no hair, and I was sitting in a bar reading a book on English usage.

The book called Elements of Style was written by William Strunk Jr. and E.B White, and it almost caused me a severe beating. I had to have them turn down the music and declare that I was not a skinhead, and that it was a book on the usage of English.

This is the book:
200px-Elements_of_Style_cover.jpg

Notice how prominent the authors' last names are ...

[/off topic]

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
After much hmm'ing and "I wonder"-ing about the knifes at Dicks, I have decided that the japanese things aren't what I need. They're carbon steel, but I guess I could get over that (I use my boat and thus my knife in saltwater as well as fresh), but I can't find a knife on there where the handle is angled, or is big enough to cut some off, so that in effect will be angled.

My own knife was made so that if you draw a line along the center of the handle and continue it through the blade, you will hit the semi-pointy bit or just above it.
This way the knife is pretty balanced and it's easy to turn it around to use it with angles, even if the handle is squarish.

So, if I forego the damascus, and perhaps even stretch myself to carbon steel, are there anyone who you think might be able to make me one?

It doesn't have to be so fancy. A simple piece of wood for the handle would suffice quite nicely. In a pinch, I guess I could make a little bit better handle than what I have on the already made knife, if only someone would make me a nice blade "blank" (I think that's the correct term?).

Last edited:

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
Thanks,

The bow legged joe seems like a fun knife, but it's rather small (it's a neck knife), but the cleaver sargey posted might be something. Of course, I'd need to grind off the sharp front, but it might actually work.

I'm not so fond of the individual finger "grooves", though. Things like tend to get in the way when you have to hold a bit differently than "normal" on the handle.

jollo74

Aug 9, 2010
Germany
My own knife was made so that if you draw a line along the center of the handle and continue it through the blade, you will hit the semi-pointy bit or just above it.
This way the knife is pretty balanced and it's easy to turn it around to use it with angles, even if the handle is squarish.

Have a look at Grohmann's knives: www.grohmannknives.com

They have an offset handle and are great users. I love my Boat Knife with stabilised wood handles :D!!!

Cheers
Jörg

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I like your knife as it is.

It has much more character than all the other clones out there.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE