I wanna see stone henge and the surrounding area!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
As the title suggests I would like to go on a trip to wiltshire, and the surrounding areas and see the landscape and the other attractions suck as avebury, chalk carvings etc.

Firstly, before I decide what to see, is this actually possible ? I have been to Wales many times (snowdonia), and found it easily transversible. As counterpoint I have been to the Malvern Hills only once on a camping trip, as I found it difficult to move around in, lots of houses fields roads, road walking etc. Is wiltshire easily crossed, or should I go on a day trip, or car camping?

Secondly, however I do it what should I see, I don't mind an hours car journey.

Last edited:

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
On foot you could easily walk from around Avebury (West Kennet Long Barrow, Silbury Hill, The Sanctuary, Windmill Hill etc.) to Stonehenge area (Durrington Walls, Woodhenge, Bush Barrow etc).

One walking route from which you could deviate depending on how much time and energy you had http://www.ldwa.org.uk/ldp/members/show_path.php?path_name=Wessex+Ridgeway Lots of opportunities for stealth camping.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
and if you find yself near me you can camp in my field for a night.

i would suggest worth looking at are the emblems badges carved into the chalk hilside by ww1 soldiers at Fovant,gold hill ( hovis hill) at shaftesbury,cley hill ( has 12 ley lines cross it) and heavans gate on the longleat estate.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Thanks for clarifying that, and all the information and pointers. Thank you for the offers.

Tom moran, a good offer I'll bear in mind, But I'll probably carry my kit.

Fishfish, I may take you up on the offer, maybe 2 or 3 nights even?

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
If you ever get the time, its fantastic there, I have walked the Ridgeway twice and its lovely, there are plenty of places around Avebury for a cheeky stealth camp. I went by coach from Luton to Marlborough and took a taxi to the start point, near the Sanctuary. I walked on about 500m from the start point and just put out the bivvy bag as it was a clear night. I stealth camped at White Horse Hill with no problems. The tenant farmer did see me as I was packing away in the morning, and his response was "my God you had a cold windy night", he could see there was no mess to be left, so no problem.

S1lver

Tenderfoot
Dec 24, 2013
Windsor
Hi

Lots said already. I walked from Avebury to the Kennet a couple of months ago then through the. Vale of Pewsey. Just a couple of days and camped overnight at The Barge Inn which was cheap and served good beer and food. Some great chalk down walking though when I did it many of the public footpaths were overgrown and not always well marked so be prepared to trust yiur map reading just in case.
The route I took was nice and rural, didnt see a soul for most of the walk and I passed through a lot of woodland that I guess you could wild camp in if you could find someone to ask permission (!).
Overall, as has been said, lovely walking in rural surroundings with lots of interesting sights, ancient to modern with the opportunity to overnight. Recomend it.

Cheers

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE