I think it's time

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Cold turkey on Nov 21st 2011. That's 491 days or....

1 year, 4 months, and 5 days or....

11,784 hours or....

you get the picture. :p

One day at a time Sam, pick a day, don't tell anyone and just stop. It might be a couple of days before people notice and you're well on your way before the comments start.

Best of luck to you.

Probably heard it many times before, but If I can do it...

60 a day to none and I'm feeling better for it.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I rarely smoke. Only a pipefullor a cigar once or twice a year so this isn't from personal experience, but from family members:

One cousin did so by taking 2 or 3 cigarettes out of the pack when she opened it and throwing them away. If she was used to smoking a pack a day (or 2 or whatever) she had reduced the total number by 3 cigarettes. After a week, she would double the number she threw away and continue the process until she had quit.

Everybody else I know who successfully quit just did it cold turkey; my Mom and several cousins and uncles.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
I stopped using the patches, (24 hr ones), And started doing miles on the bike.

If I wanted a cig I went out on the bike.

It took about a year before I didn't feel like I needed a fag every day.

But after about 6 or 7 years I'm much better off, much fitter and no longer want a smoke very often.

Just take it one day at a time and if you slip just stop again immediately. It does get easier over time

Cold turkey on Nov 21st 2011. That's 491 days or....

1 year, 4 months, and 5 days or....

11,784 hours or....

you get the picture. :p

One day at a time Sam, pick a day, don't tell anyone and just stop. It might be a couple of days before people notice and you're well on your way before the comments start.

Best of luck to you.

Probably heard it many times before, but If I can do it...

60 a day to none and I'm feeling better for it.
Im sure the story you tell around the firenis you ran out and couldn't be bothered to go down 24hiur garage for more :p
In seriousness thank you all for the suggestions.
You'll work it out when I decide to stop. Narkyness levels will go through the roof

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... how did you do it?

Cold turkey ~ everything else reminded me I was trying to replace something :eek: .

My basic rule was ~ I can have one whenever I want providing I wait half an hour. If I still want one in half an hour ... Generally the craving had lessened after the first half hour and rarely past the second, it's a lot easier to go without if you break 'forever' into half hour blocks :D .

Having tried many times I decided to not quit. Quitting means you can't have ~ and it's human nature to crave what you can't have ;) . Instead I chose to not have one for as long as I could ~ as per the basic rule above ;) .

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
I went cold turkey when the missus told me she was pregnant,

That was 10 years ago. For me the first 2 weeks were the hardest and I just chewed extra minty chewing gum After that it got easier and now I don't even think about it.

If your going to give up I wish you all the best and hope you succeed.

atb

Craig

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Cold turkey 18 August 1988, will power and salad. Every time I wanted to smoke, I ate, but as I didn't want to end up like a house I ate salad, I lost 16 lb in three months. And I'd stopped smoking as well

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
As a non-smoker I can only admire your willingness to do it and wish you luck.

Are the cravings really that strong? I know that nicotine is powerful stuff which is why I guess it is hard to quit.

Right this second I have a mental image of THAT toilet in "Trainspotting"; I don't know where that came from.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
As a non-smoker I can only admire your willingness to do it and wish you luck.

Are the cravings really that strong? I know that nicotine is powerful stuff which is why I guess it is hard to quit.

Right this second I have a mental image of THAT toilet in "Trainspotting"; I don't know where that came from.

It's probably as much the fault of the other 300 odd adictive substances that keep you hooked.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
But after about 6 or 7 years I'm much better off, much fitter and no longer want a smoke very often.

Sounds familiar :D . A lot of smokers who stop think of themselves as ex-smokers rather than as addicts with a reprieve :pokenest:

Weirdly, I never used to smoke in my dreams ~ almost caught me once or twice too :eek: . Strange tricks that the mind can play :buttkick: .

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Ok Sam up for a challenge? I will go with the cold turkey option starting now and if you're game we can keep this up until one of us shows they have no will power. Obviously honesty is paramount here. What say you?

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
stringmaker: I am sure I am not only speaking for myself when I say, yeah the cravings were that strong and at the time I really enjoyed smoking.

For me though the thought of the baby on the way was a more than enough an incentive to quit.

atb

Craig

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire

It varies from person to person. It can be relatively easy, it can be hell.
I've managed to break the cycle (see 'Basic Rule' post #08 ;) ) but my better-half hasn't ~ but. without being asked, she now smokes outside.
As has already been mentioned, it's not just the nicotine you're reacting to :)

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Respect to all.

The closest thing I can imagine is me giving up chocolate and I know how hard that would be.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
If one method fails, try another. I tried all sorts of things before stumping up the 200 notes and going for 6 hours of intensive brainwashing at an Allen Carr clinic. That was 31 January, 2010. Haven't smoked since.

Good luck, the only thing you'll regret is not stopping sooner.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE