I may have a sumac.

Joey_Numbers

Aug 25, 2010
California
Hello all

While on my rural survival scout I found this plant. I've been finding rabbit scat in the area with what looks like this plant's material in it. After a quick look through my Peterson Field Guide I think it looks like a type of Sumac,(a weak on the verge of death sumac) which I understand can be used to make a lemonade like drink. I left the plant alone because I couldn't positively identify it, just curious what everyone else thinks. I tried to get pictures of the major parts.

HPIM0231.jpg

HPIM0232.jpg

I left this picture big in case you needed a more wide view of the plant.
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j104/Lindbergh_Baby/Survival practice/HPIM0233.jpg

Probably won't be eating it, the rabbits may enjoy the plant but it's right next to a road! In fact, looking at it now it doesn't look like a sumac at all. I may have been dehydrated and delirious, haha. I think I'd still like to know. Thank you!

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
A stag's-horn sumach is a pretty unmistakeable tree. Have a google for some pictures. This tree is also very well known to gardeners, not least because once you have planted one in your garden then you will never, ever, be able to get rid of it and it's ******* cloned offspring. It's a nightmare third only to creeping bamboo and russian vine.

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
That's a dock plant, probably, and only guessing from the bits that I can see - it's a curled or yellow dock (rumex crispus). In which case all is not lost as it has medicinal uses. Look it up under the latin name I've given & see if what you found resembles the plant I think it may be.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE