I lit my first traditional fire yesterday!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bingobadgo

Jan 13, 2007
England
I just want to share my elation with you all, i lit my first fire using flint and steel yesterday.
We had a local man called Nick Checksfield round to do a party for our 8 year old, he is a master maille smith and medieval reenactor and did sword fighting lessons etc, fantastic fun!! As part of the program he showedhow to light a fire using flint and steel, with king alfreds cake fungus as tinder. He managed it and so obviously i had to have a go. After about five minutes of striking tiny dull orange sparks against a tiny little bit of mushroom a managed it, and had a full flame in my tinder ball within a minute if getting the first ember going. I had never used a flint and steel before and i am seriously impressed. It is such a satisfying feeling, i suggest everybody tries it. It really appealed to something inside me, i cant really explain it.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Excellent. Doing something new like this for the first time just gives and excellent sense of achievement. I still grin every time I think of the first time I lit a fire with a bow drill.

stuartmac5

Oct 14, 2006
southampton, uk
well done mate,

I had a similar feeling at the moot, I was using the bowdrill and it was a bit of a bugger, but George was barking instructions at me as I was sweating away and it worked, I got a flame.....great feeling isn't it:)

Just need to practice a lot to make it easy now...................

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Well done bingobadgo.

It is a great feeling so keep going mate. Now try out other tinders, you will be surprised at what works

Glad you enjoyed the bowdrill session Stuart and I hope I did not come across as some Sergeant Major barking orders at you?

well done mate,

I had a similar feeling at the moot, I was using the bowdrill and it was a bit of a bugger, but George was barking instructions at me as I was sweating away and it worked, I got a flame.....great feeling isn't it:)

Just need to practice a lot to make it easy now...................

Bowdrill is a beast to master sometimes but well worth the pain and effort it requires at times.

George

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
remember my first go I found it easier than bow drill - I used flint - steel - and char cloth then transfered to cramp ball - Tinder and fire followed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE