I like trees

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JimN

Forager
Feb 7, 2006
The Amber Valley
but I'm rubbish at identifying even the commonest varieties, (except for oak, horse chestnut and silver birch :rolleyes:). I'll go out with books, identify trees and then try and remember the distinguishing features but I've usually forgotten them again by the next time I'm out :( Does anybody have any tips/mnemonics for remembering standard British trees as I'm really getting annoyed with myself.

Cheers

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
Search the forums for "Tree ID" and you'll find lots of hints.

Most of the hints are things like, taking the leaf off trees as you try to ID them and stick it in your pocket to look at closely when you get home.
Make drawings of the trees.
Take pictures of your local trees and try to guess what they are then when you get home look them up and see if you were right.

Or you could start with one tree and keep looking for it until you are confident you will be able to ID it without a book then move onto another one.
Above all just get out there looking at trees.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Dont worry....I was once like you, but my tree portfolio is now growing.

The key is to go out and look for ONE type of tree that you are sure you know. While spotting this tree, choose one you dont know and see how many of this type you can find. Look at its bark as well as the leaves. Once at home, look up the tree.....Then the next time you go out, this is the tree that you initialy start to spot...and then, as before, pick one you dont know and spot these as well as the one you have just identified.

Every few outings, dont spot any new trees but instead go back to the first tree you identified to refresh your memmory (I should take my own advice here as ive forgotton loads).

Stu.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Jim if you want to go for a tree id walk nr my area drop us a pm.
Most natives are very different to each other and easy to get in your head especially at the moment.

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Hi Jim,

I am not great, by any stretch of the imagination, with tree ID but what I find helps is if you concentrate on just one tree type at a time. Get to know it, perhaps carve a spoon if you can get some (not always practical I know), look out for just that type of tree and where you can spot it. Google it and read about the myths and lore about it. Camp under it perhaps.Although this may sound a little 'out there' I find it really helps to build up a real 'relationship' with the tree, one that you wont forget.

Hope my two penneth helps mate.

Kim

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
On a side note...
Does anyone know of any good tree id books, i have one for Southern Africa with a identification key in the front to narrow the search down, it is based on the leaf structure and arangement amongst other things is there anything like this for UK trees?

cheers
Louis

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Louis, I have a very good Collins one - its out of print now, but theres a newer edition. You're welcome to a lend if you want (I have a fair old reference section in the Library)

JimN

Forager
Feb 7, 2006
The Amber Valley
On a side note...
Does anyone know of any good tree id books, i have one for Southern Africa with a identification key in the front to narrow the search down, it is based on the leaf structure and arangement amongst other things is there anything like this for UK trees?

cheers
Louis

I have a Collins Gen and a Green Guide and find the Collins the most useful of the two.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE