I hate paypal!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
nobby said:
Me neither, and I've used the customer service. While it is a pain to make contact I've been happy that the service works.
How do so many people have such strong opinions about things that they profess not to use?

I use it because it is simplifies transactions but I hate its customer service.
They and ebay abuse their market dominance. For example on ebay if a seller accepts Paypal they list that "this seller PREFERS paypal" even though the seller may prefer other payment methods.

I do hope other companies such as Nochex get more widely used. Nochex does seem to be confined to the UK so it's useless for the big bad world out there.

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
anthonyyy said:
I use it because it is simplifies transactions but I hate its customer service.
They and ebay abuse their market dominance. For example on ebay if a seller accepts Paypal they list that "this seller PREFERS paypal" even though the seller may prefer other payment methods.

I do hope other companies such as Nochex get more widely used. Nochex does seem to be confined to the UK so it's useless for the big bad world out there.

There is no "they and eBay"; eBay owns PayPal, so it is small wonder that they ever so subtly promotes the use of their own payment service. Of course, the "this seller prefers PayPal" bit is putting words in mouths.

Across the pond, I've only vaguely heard of this Nochex thing, and have a mild sensation that it is somehow associated with the UK, so you're probably right on that point. :D

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
I was going to mention eBay / Paypal / Skype are all now one company. I have extensively used all three services for years and from my experience.. eBay is a great idea but take to much of a percentage, I know it might seem small per item but the amount they make is unbelievable and thats because they're taking so much from every item & user. Paypal, again the idea is good but the implementation sucks, again they take a certain percentage just for people sending you money!! So thats great, eBay & Paypal will both take money from you if you sell something on eBay (even though there the same bloody company), they take too much.

As for Skype, its bloody superb! It was only recently aqquired by eBay/Paypal, lets hope it stays a good service. For those of you who dont know, Skype is VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) allowing you to make 100% free calls over the internet (from computer to computer or VOIP phone to VOIP phone) and they offer unbelievably cheap calls to landlines through the internet and have great deals. For example I have a VOIP phone hooked up to my PC which is capable of making calls to landlines too through skype. They have given me unlimited free calls to landlines for six months! Thats saved me some serious money in my first home :)

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
For example on ebay if a seller accepts Paypal they list that "this seller PREFERS paypal" even though the seller may prefer other payment methods.

Of course, the "this seller prefers PayPal" bit is putting words in mouths.

That's not true!!
Under your Selling Preferences there is are 2 options relating to PayPal:-

Offer PayPal on my listings
Display "PayPal Preferred" on my listings

Each of these can be set to 'Yes' or 'No'.

So there is a clear choice. At the end of the day, eBay and PayPal are businesses. For them to charge for their services should be no great surprise.

Granted, I there are lots of 'horror stories' relating to their customer services and the way they operate, but I would be interested to know how many complaints they receive per transaction, especially compared to other large companies, banks etc.

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
I stand corrected. I haven't sold on eBay in many a moon, so I wasn't aware of the ability to set your PayPal "preferredness".

I would also be interested to see their complaints per transaction ratio and compare it to other services; I suspect it's not as bad as the screaming chimpanzees of the internet sometimes make it out to be. No offense intended to anybody that has had a eBay or PayPal problem; but the internet is truly full of self-inflated howling chimps that make a disproportionate amount of noise, IMHO.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
At the end of the day, eBay and PayPal are businesses. For them to charge for their services should be no great surprise.
I agree, of course they should charge, but I believe they should charge penies per transaction, they would still make countless millions worldwide. However they charge pounds and they're both charging, ebay & paypal. Theres a listing fee, a final sale fee and a certain percentage taken off dependent on how much your item made and then a fee for merely accepting a payment using paypal, then you gota pay postage :( for some stuff it just aint worth the hastle.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
:)

I think its well cheap. When I bought my Lee Reeves I needed an international money order and had to send it interantional airmail, signed for etc. It took about 3 weeks to get there.

Paypal would have cost less and been instant and I wouldn't have had to pay currency conversion rates etc.

I won't use anything else when arranging group buys for Cegga - far cheaper and simpler than banks. Never gone wrong yet

Red

Mr_Yarrow

Forager
May 16, 2005
UK, Hertfordshire
Right, Ive taken a deep breath so hopefully I wont come across as too rude, but the amount of rubbish ive just read in this thread is personaly quite scary.

My experience of Paypal until 2005 was limited to a personal account, I then helped a colleague open a business account and since 2006 I have been running an ebay shop with Paypal as the sole means of payment (using the account I set up).

To address some of the statements/questions from this thread, in no particular order;

If they arent answering your emails and your in the UK, then phone their customer service phone number, its publically available on the paypal.co.uk website.

They DO ask you to fax info to them, both for business and personal accounts. With business accounts its usually proof of stock holdings and for personal its things like utility bills or bank statements to confirm your account isnt fraudulent.

You can simply choose, 'no address required' when sending funds if you dont want the person to know a postal address for you.

Paypal may have been established originally by the echo bay company, but they are seperate financial/business entities with seperate offices and staff. They may know each other and staff move from one company to the other, but they are not one in the same thing.

The Paypal fees to receive funds may seem high, however they are on a par with a merchant account (how a businnes would otherwise accept creit card funds), and Paypal is a hell of a lot easier to set up, has no annual fee to maintain and I have been told is often easier to use when dealing with chargebacks.

It should be physically impossible for you to have a seller account without going through a lot of hoops, but you could become a Premier account holder if you receive more than 3 payments. As such you will need to verify the bank account that sits behind it before you can retrieve the money.

Last time I looked it was cheaper for mid priced items than a UK postal order and I didnt have to get off my rather large **** and go to the post office and cue with the coffin dodgers either.

I have never heard of anyone having an account hacked unless they have been dumb enough to fall for a phishing email and give out their accounts password.

They offer a relatively good level of protection against chargebacks (the most common type of credit card fraud).

Rgds

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Just to chuck my two-penneth worth in.......

Been using Paypal and Ebay for several years now and never had a problem with either of them.

........maybe I've just been lucky?

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I'd tend to agree with you Mr Yeoman. I've been steadily building up my feedback rating for a few years now and i can count on the fingers of one hand how many times i've paid and been paid using any other method than paypal.

The only time i've had problems was when i was new and paid for a knife which never arrived and i gave the seller too much time so i could'nt claim back OR leave negative feedback, but that has been once in over 600 transactions and in the end, it was my own fault, as a newbie, for being to gracious.

Paypal provide a service and get paid for it. If it was excessive, no one would use it and everyone would complain to Watchdog. Then i'd be able to see Julia Bradbury telling me about how naughty these people are..............mmmmmmmmmmmmm Julia!

Did anyone see her on Wainrights Walks recently? :D

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Never had problems with paypal. Did only about 10 transactions..

The 3 percent you need to pay extra is the same as shops need to pay for VISA transactions, so seems fare to me.

bushtank

Nomad
Jan 9, 2007
king lynn
thomasturnbull said:
I have been waiting for 4 weeks for paypal to put a deposit into my bank so i can finish setting it up i need to make a payment for a knife that was auctioned on BCUK not happy :buttkick: sorry TMKTC will sort soon hope the knife is still there :beerchug:
Im still waiting for paypal to set up :buttkick:

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Seems like Paypal is requesting confirmation of my "inventory". Why can't they just ask the ones I have taken payment from? I don't have such confirmation. What should I do? Just forge two such documents and fax them?

I'm getting ****** off here!!!!:cussing:

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
I use paypal, not through choice as I prefer nochex but buyers/sellers always seem to opt for paypal. On the spoof emails I'd just like to add that I've noticed if it's fake it will say something like dear paypal member or dear member. If its off paypal it will state your full name. I never click on any paypal or ebay email I now always go direct to their site. Once bitten twice shy as they say :(

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Dragging this up as I am after a few bits and bats fopr my Trangia. Main thing is the large billy that the whole shebang goes in so that I can do group cooking. I've found a very good place that does the stuff I want for a tenner cheaper than the bext cheapest place, and th do free shipping with orders over 12 quid as opposed to forty on the other more expensive site. Downside is that they only use Google checkout. I don't want to set up an account for one transactio and get loads of hassle if i don't use it again. I need a comprehensive run down on google checkout by a member here whose word we can trust over some anonymous website paid by Google to write a gleaming report! Has anybody had any experience with Google Checkout?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE