I Did It!!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Congratulations! I remember the big silly grin I got my first time. What board/drill combination did you use?

masongary44

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 6, 2004
Leeds, England
Brilliant, I cant believe you did it indoors (not your bedroom) way too much smoke for my liking...

You will be amazed at how much quicker you get with a little practice,...

Keep it up...

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
I tried it in my lounge once and ended up taking the skin off my knuckles on the carpet...

that's one way to learn how to keep the bow level I guess!!!!

Can get smoke now, still reaching for a consistent ember though. I always think I'm going to have a cardiac arrest before I get there!

:shock:

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
congratulations :)

just re - reading this thread and the temptation to comment on some of the double entendres is almost getting too much to resist

:shock:

I gotta say i have never even tried fire by friction, but reading all the comments on how wonderful and satisfying it is have got me itching to give it a shot at least

maybe we will get a dry weekend next weekend

Tant

Bushmaster

Forager
Oct 17, 2004
Scotland
Kim, I have found that if I use sycamore for all parts of the fire set I have no trouble building up the embers and can get a fire nine times out of ten.The one out of ten is probably my technique failing or getting puffed out.lol

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Stuart said:
Well DONE :super:

next time outside eh :chill:
Yeah, next time outside! :D :biggthump I've done it 2 times so far. I showed it last night to my mom and dad. :wink: :pack:

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
i wathced a demonstration of it at the outdoor show. I tried with my dad but couldn't do it. I live to far away from any woods. any suggestions how i can practice? well done to the viking aswell. :You_Rock_

leon-1

jack29g said:
i wathced a demonstration of it at the outdoor show. I tried with my dad but couldn't do it. I live to far away from any woods. any suggestions how i can practice? well done to the viking aswell. :You_Rock_

Jack, a lot of people on here do not live close to woodlands. The only thing that I can suggest is that when you are next in the woods get yourself some bits of wood to make a friction fire set, bring them home, allow them to season and then when you get a chance practice in your back garden or yard. It's pretty much what the rest of us do :wink:.

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
jack29g said:
if anyone lives in leicester do you know any local woods? Sorry going off the subject a bit

Hiya,

The Woodland Trust have a very good interactive map that gives loads of info on local woodlands.

As far as Leicester goes, I've been to Martinshaw woods which are fantastic. Well worth the trip out of town. I've also been to a deer park which I can't remember the name of :?: Sorry.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Martin

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
jack29g said:
where are abouts are martinn shore woods

looking at the Woodland trust web-site (cos my memory fails me) it's between Ratby and Groby next to the M1.
Here's the map from the web-site;

Martinshaw.bmp

I hope that helps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE