I.D. This Mystery Item Please!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've had this little stand/clamp/holder thingy for some years and have tried everything to ID it without success; for a long time I was of the opinion that it was for holding fishing rods whilst whipping eyes and varnishing etc., but many anglers have seen it and said Nay................I've lately begun to think that it might be something to hold shotguns and/or rifles whilst blueing as th shape of the clamp at the top is adjustable and at it's largest becomes oval rather than round; it also has a wire rim-cum-clip thingy which looks to me as if it was meant to hold a pot of something close to the workpiece.

This is a well-made thing, seems Victorian era to me, and would not have been cheap to buy. On one side of the top 45 degree crosspiece are the words HOWARD WOKINGHAM , and on the other it says PATENT No 22042....................before you message me to say look up the patent, it's too early for readily available information and I'd need to use a paid search service to research it and have been warned that this can be expensive, and is not a simple process................I hope the photos are clear enough to give a clue, I'm not the world's most gifted photographer and only have the camera on my phone...............IMAG0208.jpgIMAG0209.jpgIMAG0210.jpgIMAG0211.jpgIMAG0212.jpgIMAG0213.jpgIMAG0214.jpgIMAG0215.jpg

Dunx

Apr 8, 2013
West Wales
Little clamp looks like the clamp/handle for using Taps

TP103.jpg

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Not sure, first thought that came to mind was some kind of maintenance stand for a bicycle. Maybe it's something out of a factory which was unique to it's role.

Dunx

Apr 8, 2013
West Wales
Not sure, first thought that came to mind was some kind of maintenance stand for a bicycle. Maybe it's something out of a factory which was unique to it's role.

That would make sense as the lower part would hold the pedal section of the frame

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Yeah, its a tap holder from a tap and die set. I've got a couple of em.
Also used to hold screw extractors, before you break them off in the brake bleed nipple you are trying to repair in a RD125LC and have to buy another front brake caliper off Ebay.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
First off, profound apologies - I messed up posting the pics - the tap wrench is nothing to do with the other clamp thingy - Sorry for the confusion!

Shewie, it's the wrong size and not stable enough for the bike thing; and in any case it's a bit too sophisticated and seems purpose built for something specific.

Dunx, that's amazing! I've not found an image of one in 4 years, but even the auctioneer's description is limited to "Iron Implement"

Whatever it's a stand for, it's not stable enough for anything as physical as threading pipe, more for something like varnishing.

Thanks for all the input so far.......................atb mac

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Shewie, it's the wrong size and not stable enough for the bike thing; and in any case it's a bit too sophisticated and seems purpose built for something specific.

It might be worth contacting the auctioneers in my link above, maybe send them a photo and see if they can help you.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Just checked your linky, Shewie - looks like you get the cigar! That's just too much of a coincidence to not be true.................and you nailed it on first sight, well done! I'm off to do a bit of research armed with this new lead, and will report back.

Thankyou all for the help and suggestions............atb mac

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Bicycle stand it definitely seems to be.................must have been the Rolls Royce of them, this is a seriously well made item.................Standmakers to the Gentry? Thanks again, all.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
it's a victorian bike rack, for the car !

Whats with the tap and die holder ? Used for holding anything square while you rotate it.

Edit:

Oh yeah, properly read it all, just two off the wrong pics posted. Now time for something completely different !

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Tried it today with an ordinary modern all-terrain bike - works perfectly!...............and as stable as a rock, contrary to appearance - a very well-made item. atb mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE